Welcome to ECCIE, become a part of the fastest growing adult community. Take a minute & sign up!

Welcome to ECCIE - Sign up today!

Become a part of one of the fastest growing adult communities online. We have something for you, whether you’re a male member seeking out new friends or a new lady on the scene looking to take advantage of our many opportunities to network, make new friends, or connect with people. Join today & take part in lively discussions, take advantage of all the great features that attract hundreds of new daily members!

Go Premium

Go Back   ECCIE Worldwide > General Interest > The Political Forum
The Political Forum Discuss anything related to politics in this forum. World politics, US Politics, State and Local.

Most Favorited Images
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
Most Liked Images
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
Top Reviewers
cockalatte 645
MoneyManMatt 490
Still Looking 399
samcruz 399
Jon Bon 385
Harley Diablo 373
honest_abe 362
DFW_Ladies_Man 313
Chung Tran 288
lupegarland 287
nicemusic 285
You&Me 281
Starscream66 268
George Spelvin 254
sharkman29 253
Top Posters
DallasRain70497
biomed161137
Yssup Rider60189
gman4453053
LexusLover51038
WTF48267
offshoredrilling47801
pyramider46370
bambino40460
CryptKicker37108
Mokoa36487
Chung Tran36100
Still Looking35944
The_Waco_Kid35624
Mojojo33117

Old 09-03-2018, 09:47 PM   #91
I B Hankering
Valued Poster

Encounters: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by dilbert firestorm View Post
I think the term anglos make much more sense if spoken from a mexican point of view.

the term yanks applying to all americans didn't come into common usage until after 1865.
Wrong.

Quote:
British General James Wolfe made the earliest recorded use of the word Yankee in 1758 to refer to people from what became the United States.... As early as the 1770s, British people applied the term to any person from the United States.

Dutch origin

New Netherland is to the northwest, and New England is to the northeast.

Most linguists look to Dutch language sources, noting the extensive interaction between the colonial Dutch in New Netherland (now largely New York, New Jersey, Delaware, and western Connecticut) and the English in colonial New England (Massachusetts, Rhode Island, and eastern Connecticut). Michael Quinion and Patrick Hanks argue that the term refers to the Dutch feminine diminutive name Janneke or masculine diminutive name Janke, which would be Anglicized as "Yankee" due to the Dutch pronunciation of J as the English Y. Quinion and Hanks posit that it was "used as a nickname for a Dutch-speaking American in colonial times" and could have grown to include non-Dutch colonists, as well. Alternatively, the Dutch given names Jan (Dutch: [jɑn]) and Kees (Dutch: [keːs]) have long been common, and the two are sometimes combined into a single name (e.g., Jan Kees de Jager). Its Anglicized spelling Yankee could, in this way, have been used to mock Dutch Americans. The chosen name Jan Kees may have been partly inspired by a dialectal rendition of Jan Kaas ("John Cheese"), the generic nickname that Southern Dutch used for Dutch people living in the North.

The Online Etymology Dictionary gives its origin as around 1683, when it was applied insultingly to Dutch Americans (especially freebooters) by the English. Linguist Jan de Vries notes that there was mention of a pirate named Dutch Yanky in the 17th century. The Life and Adventures of Sir Launcelot Greaves (1760) contains the passage, "Haul forward thy chair again, take thy berth, and proceed with thy story in a direct course, without yawing like a Dutch yanky." It was at some point reappropriated by Dutch settlers of New Amsterdam who started using it against the English colonists of neighboring Connecticut.

(Wiki)

BTW, Moses Austin was born in Connecticut.
I B Hankering is offline   Quote
Old 09-03-2018, 10:02 PM   #92
dilbert firestorm
Premium Access

Encounters: 4

IB, I said "common" usage. sure the term was used in the late 1700's, but it was not common usage or used very often (put it that way).
dilbert firestorm is offline   Quote
Old 09-03-2018, 10:17 PM   #93
I B Hankering
Valued Poster

Quote:
IB, I said "common" usage. sure the term was used in the late 1700's, but it was not common usage or used very often (put it that way).
The article explicitly says it was common usage in the late 1700s.

Quote:
"Yankee Doodle" is a well-known American song, the early versions of which date to before the Seven Years' War and the American Revolution (1775–83). (Wiki)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=StDpLge_ITM
Old 09-03-2018, 10:20 PM   #94
dilbert firestorm
Premium Access

Encounters: 4

yeah, but Yanks referred to people of the North East America, (New England states) not all of america. that part wasn't used to mean them until much later.
dilbert firestorm is offline   Quote
Old 09-03-2018, 10:24 PM   #95
I B Hankering
Valued Poster

Quote:
yeah, but Yanks referred to people of the North East America, (New England states) not all of america. that part wasn't used to mean them until much later.
No. It clearly states that the Brits called all Americans Yankees. The Brits were the most powerful nation at that time, and they had more ships in more foreign ports than any other nation at that time. "The sun never sets on the Union Jack" was a truism meaning the Brits and their flag and their parlance was literally world wide. Hence, when a British Jack spoke of "Yankees" in a Spanish port, the Spaniard knew that the Jack was speaking of Americans.
Old 09-03-2018, 11:03 PM   #96
lustylad
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by I B Hankering View Post
The Brits were the most powerful nation at that time, and they had more ships in more foreign ports than any other nation at that time. "The sun never sets on the Union Jack" was a truism meaning the Brits and their flag and their parlance was literally world wide.

lustylad is offline   Quote
Old 09-03-2018, 11:24 PM   #97
Yssup Rider
BANNED

Encounters: 67

LOL!

Good luck fellas.
Yssup Rider is offline   Quote
Old 09-04-2018, 11:13 AM   #98
MT Pockets
Valued Poster

Encounters: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by garhkal;1060868996[B
]What made me peeved off when i read a different article on it. THE COMPANY Donated 25k to BOTH PARTIES. Not just the republicans.[/B] So they are wanting a boycot, JUST for daring to give equal treatment to the republicans.
Just goes to show, the party that preaches tolerance the loudest, NEVER SHOWS TOLERANCE back.

LOL if you had done your research you would know they donated to the CA republican party and a PAC that supports democrats and the Ca republican party. So that means that they mislead you when they said they supported both party's equally. I do not know how much they gave the PAC but even if it was a million dollars you can not say what was done with it.
MT Pockets is offline   Quote

AMPReviews.net
Find Ladies
Hot Women