Welcome to ECCIE, become a part of the fastest growing adult community. Take a minute & sign up!

Welcome to ECCIE - Sign up today!

Become a part of one of the fastest growing adult communities online. We have something for you, whether you’re a male member seeking out new friends or a new lady on the scene looking to take advantage of our many opportunities to network, make new friends, or connect with people. Join today & take part in lively discussions, take advantage of all the great features that attract hundreds of new daily members!

Go Premium

Go Back   ECCIE Worldwide > General Interest > Diamonds and Tuxedos
Diamonds and Tuxedos Glamour, elegance, and sophistication. That's what it's all about here in ECCIE's newest forum which caters to those with expensive tastes, lavish lifestyles, and an appetite for upscale entertainment.

Most Favorited Images
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
Most Liked Images
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
Top Reviewers
cockalatte 645
MoneyManMatt 490
Still Looking 399
samcruz 398
Jon Bon 385
Harley Diablo 373
honest_abe 362
DFW_Ladies_Man 313
Chung Tran 288
lupegarland 287
nicemusic 285
You&Me 281
Starscream66 266
George Spelvin 254
sharkman29 253
Top Posters
DallasRain70478
biomed161041
Yssup Rider60189
gman4453034
LexusLover51038
WTF48267
offshoredrilling47765
pyramider46370
bambino40446
CryptKicker37107
Mokoa36487
Chung Tran36100
Still Looking35944
The_Waco_Kid35624
Mojojo33117

Old 09-30-2010, 10:10 AM   #31
Guest083011
Account Disabled

Encounters: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjorourke View Post
And you didn't listen, did you.
whad did ja just say??
Guest083011 is offline   Quote
Old 10-02-2010, 08:36 AM   #32
davec.0121
Gaining Momentum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mazomaniac View Post
The First Amendment applies both inside and outside the US.

Unlike some of the other amendments that specifically mention and apply only to the "people" of the United States, the First Amendment forbids restriction on speech in general. It's not limited to the people or the territory of the United States.

Cheers,
Mazo.
Actually, the Supreme Court has ruled that the Constitution applies to U.S. citizens everywhere, so the government can't stop or prosecute you from saying things in a foreign country. The Constitution also applies to all people within the U.S., regardless of citizenship. However, it doesn't apply or have any relevance to non-U.S. citizens outside the U.S.

That aside, threatening anyone, let alone the President of the U.S., is not considered protected speech. Try it in an airport sometime. And look at how seriously the Secret Service takes any threat to any president. Big jail time. The little prick is actually lucky he got off as lightly as he did.
davec.0121 is offline   Quote
Old 10-02-2010, 10:15 AM   #33
pjorourke
Valued Poster

Encounters: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by davec.0121 View Post
The little prick is actually lucky he got off as lightly as he did.
careful! Thats TexasTushHog's client you be dissin.
pjorourke is offline   Quote
Old 10-02-2010, 03:15 PM   #34
Mazomaniac
Valued Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by davec.0121 View Post
Actually, the Supreme Court has ruled that the Constitution applies to U.S. citizens everywhere, so the government can't stop or prosecute you from saying things in a foreign country. The Constitution also applies to all people within the U.S., regardless of citizenship. However, it doesn't apply or have any relevance to non-U.S. citizens outside the U.S.
At the risk of turning this thread into a law school classroom . . . the above statement is not true.

Under the doctrine of Shelley v. Kraemer the US Courts have no ability to enforce any law - domestic or foreign - that would infringe the free speech rights of any person regardless of whether the speech occurred inside the US or not.

For instance, there are several opinions where both state and federal courts have refused to enforce foreign defamation judgments where the defamatory statements occurred outside the US. A US court cannot issue an order that would bar speech outside the US if that speech would be legal here. Under Shelley the courts are barred from issuing judgments that would infringe on constitutional rights just as Congress is. The courts are pretty clear that this doctrine extends to extraterritorial disputes as well.

So, if a Frenchman "offends your honor" in France you can sue him all you want in French court. You cannot, however, extend that judgment to the US or to the Frenchman's US-based assets if the speech is subject to First Amendment protection. The fact that the defendant is not a citizen and that the speech happened outside the US does not help you. The US courts cannot render judgments contrary to First Amendment protections no matter who said it or where it was said.

As I noted above, the Supreme Court has made a distinction between amendments that specifically mention "the people" or refer to a "person" as having a different scope of applicability than those that do not. The First Amendment free speech guarantees are not restricted to "the people". The free speech clause is a broader prohibition than the narrower restrictions in the Second, Fourth, and Fifth Amendments.

If you know of a case where the courts have enforced a speech restriction on a non-citizen or in a foreign context I'd be more than happy to review it and reconsider my opinion. The only one I know of is a very old case where a person was denied immigration status because he was distributing anarchist literature that called for violent revolution inside the US. That case is now over 100 years old and was restricted to the subject of whether the plaintiff could be denied entry into the US - an area where the Executive has nearly plenary power even in the face of the Bill of Rights. The issue wasn't whether he could distribute the literature - there was never an question about whether he could or could not do that - it was instead an issue of whether he could be excluded from the country for doing so.

Other than this one off-topic case I can not think of a single instance where a foreign national has been subjected to either criminal or civil suit in a US court for "improper" speech or a case that involved speech that happened outside the border. AFAIK if it's allowed inside the US it's allowed everywhere under US law no matter who says it. If you know of a case that says different I'd really like to see it. I'd be happy to change my opinion if the courts have actually ruled differently.

Cheers,
Mazo.
Mazomaniac is offline   Quote
Old 10-02-2010, 07:37 PM   #35
Raphael
BANNED

Encounters: 24

Banned from the United States for calling Obama a prick?!!!
This is outrageous.
Obama is a prick. And I will not get banned from my country for saying that under the first amendment.
I might have gotten banned from the Soviet Union for calling Stalin a prick, if not even worse than banned.

No wonder America has such a bad reputation if a teen ager is given hell for calling a prick, a prick

(Calling a prick a prick is not a threat. It's a statement of fact)
Raphael is offline   Quote
Old 10-02-2010, 07:55 PM   #36
Camille
Pending Age Verification

User ID: 511
My ECCIE Reviews
Default Flippn 'eck

JB...is there a way I can go back (or you can?) and edit the original post to include the fact that as well as calling the POTUS aprick he threatened him? I sort of thought people would click the link before responding. Maybe WTF saturated the joint with links and people now have an aversion to them lol ...just kidding WTF.

C x
Camille is offline   Quote
Old 10-02-2010, 08:40 PM   #37
pyramider
El Hombre de la Mancha

Encounters: 10

The Secret Service frowns on threats to the President. Its one thing to say Obama is a prick. Its another to send an email, or letter.
pyramider is offline   Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 07:08 AM   #38
Raphael
BANNED

Encounters: 24

E-mail and letters are not threats, even when they contain negative opinions.

Interesting to note that under the Obama administration, muslims have first amendment rights to buid mosques around the corner from Ground Zero, but citizens of the country that proclaimed the first Bill of Rights cannot call a prick a prick.
Raphael is offline   Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 12:39 PM   #39
John Bull
Valued Poster

There is no point in doing that Lady C as you have already made the correction in a more timely and relevent post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camille View Post
JB...is there a way I can go back (or you can?) and edit the original post to include the fact that as well as calling the POTUS aprick he threatened him? I sort of thought people would click the link before responding. Maybe WTF saturated the joint with links and people now have an aversion to them lol ...just kidding WTF.

C x
John Bull is offline   Quote

AMPReviews.net
Find Ladies
Hot Women