Welcome to ECCIE, become a part of the fastest growing adult community. Take a minute & sign up!

Welcome to ECCIE - Sign up today!

Become a part of one of the fastest growing adult communities online. We have something for you, whether you’re a male member seeking out new friends or a new lady on the scene looking to take advantage of our many opportunities to network, make new friends, or connect with people. Join today & take part in lively discussions, take advantage of all the great features that attract hundreds of new daily members!

Go Premium

Go Back   ECCIE Worldwide > General Interest > Diamonds and Tuxedos
Diamonds and Tuxedos Glamour, elegance, and sophistication. That's what it's all about here in ECCIE's newest forum which caters to those with expensive tastes, lavish lifestyles, and an appetite for upscale entertainment.

Most Favorited Images
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
Most Liked Images
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
Top Reviewers
cockalatte 645
MoneyManMatt 490
Still Looking 399
samcruz 398
Jon Bon 385
Harley Diablo 373
honest_abe 362
DFW_Ladies_Man 313
Chung Tran 288
lupegarland 287
nicemusic 285
You&Me 281
Starscream66 265
sharkman29 252
George Spelvin 248
Top Posters
DallasRain70429
biomed160678
Yssup Rider59992
gman4452940
LexusLover51038
WTF48267
offshoredrilling47606
pyramider46370
bambino40335
CryptKicker37087
Mokoa36487
Chung Tran36100
Still Looking35944
The_Waco_Kid35420
Mojojo33117

Old 08-18-2010, 09:56 PM   #31
Sisyphus
Valued Poster

Location: Up a hill...down a hill... Up a hill...down a hill...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camille View Post
Oh man! I feel for you..just a bit
Aw...thank you, darlin'! Good to see you back, BTW!

Quote:
If you really want to read about football and organized crime you need to be reading the horrible stuff (ever seen the films, "Rise of the Footsoldier" and "essex boys?" - both interconnected and um..very grittytrue stories from the 80's and 90's). Google Carlton Leach.
I've been wanting to track those down. The ICF were some heavy cats. They used to carry "business cards" that they would leave on the faces of their victims after they laid them out, "Congrats! You've just met the ICF." A trick they stole from my Dad's old Special Forces unit in WW2.

There's a ton of "football hooligan" books. Most of them are crap. Among the best I've read are Bill Buford's, Among The Thugs & Colin Ward's, Steaming In. Soul Crew is pretty good but I can't recall who wrote it.

The Fix has more to do with gamblers getting players & refs to affect the outcome of games. The guy actually has some good information...just not enough for a book. So, he repeats a lot of stories that are already in the public domain & repeats himself more than I care to read. He may be a decent investigator but he's an atrocious writer.

Quote:
Ahhhh but ATL...the BEST part of book shopping for me is going in for one and coming out with a stack that you stumble across. It's just not the same doing that on Amazon lol. Sit with a coffee, browse a few pages...buy or don't buy. Love it. I can see the appeal of Amazon though if you know what you want...definitely convenient as you said
I used to just love killing an afternoon in a good bookstore as you describe. I still do that...just not as often or with as much joy. Somewhere along the way the bookstore got all jumbled up with study hall & the office. Drives me up a wall!

Quote:
"The Average American Male" by Chad Kultgen. It was gifted. I'll report back

C
The hell with that! Run right out & pick up, The Below Average American Male. Then come back here & explain me to me!
Sisyphus is offline   Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 10:45 PM   #32
discreetgent
Valued Poster

Location: Even with a gorgeous avatar: Happiness is ephemeral

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainMidnight View Post
. I also highly recommend Liar's Poker, written by Lewis back in the late 1980s.
Magnificent book; for those who liked it I suggest Barbarians at the Gate about the fight to take over RJR Nabisco
discreetgent is offline   Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 12:39 AM   #33
Camille
Pending Age Verification

User ID: 511
My ECCIE Reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sisyphus View Post
Aw...thank you, darlin'! Good to see you back, BTW!

I've been wanting to track those down. The ICF were some heavy cats. They used to carry "business cards" that they would leave on the faces of their victims after they laid them out, "Congrats! You've just met the ICF." A trick they stole from my Dad's old Special Forces unit in WW2.

There's a ton of "football hooligan" books. Most of them are crap. Among the best I've read are Bill Buford's, Among The Thugs & Colin Ward's, Steaming In. Soul Crew is pretty good but I can't recall who wrote it.

True enough! "The rise of Foot solider" is only briefly about football hooliganism..the rest..and more frightening part is about organized crime. It's not about game rigging though. To be fair though Sis, I'm not surprised that anyone thinks there is game rigging going on especially after some of the atrocious and verydubious reff'ingg debacles of the last World Cup

C xx
Camille is offline   Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 12:41 AM   #34
Camille
Pending Age Verification

My ECCIE Reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sisyphus View Post
The hell with that! Run right out & pick up, The Below Average American Male. Then come back here & explain me to me!
'Aint nuttin below average 'bout you!

C
Old 08-19-2010, 08:09 AM   #35
Happy Diver
Lifetime Premium Access

Encounters: 5

Quote:
Some very interesting sounding literary works in there.
Thank you for sharing everyone..looks like a trip to borders is in order.
Books are one of things I don't like buying online...love a good browse in a bookstore.
If anyone has any recommendations of other biographies by modern day explorers (of any kind..not just limited to Artic and Antartic) I would be very grateful for suggestions. I'm particularly interested to read about archaelogical digs or something of that nature. Or any interesting WWI reads..fiction or otherwise. I've read "Intimate letters.." and also the war diaries of Douglas Haig...but I'm open to others and from any perspective/nationality.

Thanks and hugs

Camille xx
Hi, Camille,

I just finished "The Lost City of Z" by David Grann. Great read about a British explorer Percy Fawcett lost in the Amazon in the 1920s looking for ruins of a lost civilization.

As far as WWI, I'd highly recommend "Testament of Youth" by Vera Brittain. This autobiography eloquently chronicles the destruction of a beautiful generation of youth by the brutality of war.
Happy Diver is offline   Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 09:07 AM   #36
Mr.Oneeye
Lifetime Premium Access

Default With regards to The Great War

Quote:
Or any interesting WWI reads..fiction or otherwise. I've read "Intimate letters.." and also the war diaries of Douglas Haig...but I'm open to others and from any perspective/nationality.
Good Afternoon, Camille;

On the origins of The Great War, there is probably nothing better than Barbara Tuchman's "The Guns of August" for the realpolitik and Robert K Massie's "Dreadnought" for the arms race that made war almost inevitable.

However, for me, I find it difficult to read most books about The Great War as there is little in them other than endless slaughter, even in the lesser known areas of the conflict, such as Italy or Africa. I am more interested in reading about the fallout from the conflict, much of which we are living through now. The dissolution of the Austro-Hungarian Empire bequeathed us Bosnia, Kosovo and Sarajevo. Whilst the end of the Ottoman Empire and good intentions like the Sykes-Picot treaty brought into being artificial constructs such as Saudi Arabia, Lebanon and Iraq.

In all of the reading I have done about the period, I can only recall one book that brings a smile to my face when I think of it. "Mimi & TouTou go forth".

Good reading
Cyclops
Mr.Oneeye is offline   Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 10:19 AM   #37
Camille
Pending Age Verification

My ECCIE Reviews

Happy diver..thank you for those. They sound exactly the type of thing I am looking for. Added to list

Cyclops, I agree (about WWI texts). One of the books I mentioned is actually a collection of dairy entries, journals and letters have been put together by authors. They are the thoughts of both armed forces personnel and civilians of all nationalities...from the start until the of the war. It's actually very interesting. It's by Svetlana Palmer and Sarah Wallis and is called, "Intimate Voices from the First World War." Granted, not much about the aftermath...but seeing the whole thing unold through the eyes of someone involved in quite extraordinary.

Camille x
Old 08-20-2010, 01:11 AM   #38
Valued Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by arianne View Post
I just received the book Report to Greco - Nikos Kazantzakis and have just started reading it. A spiritual journey of sorts. Has been an interesting read so far..
a good book, IMO. not excellent but still good and worth reading. And the english translation is quite well done.
.. is offline   Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 01:14 AM   #39
Valued Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainMidnight View Post
An old favorite of mine is Extraordinary Popular Delusions & the Madness of Crowds, by Charles Mackay
a classic; an excellent book.
.. is offline   Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 11:03 AM   #40
Camille
Pending Age Verification

My ECCIE Reviews

I'm going to need to take out a loan at this rate. So many intriguing choices on here.
Old 08-21-2010, 06:34 AM   #41
Valued Poster

Quote:
So many intriguing choices on here.
if you need still more ...

Robert Baer: See No Evil (excerpt: pt. 1 pt. 2)

Victor Ostrovsky: By Way of Deception
Victor Ostrovsky: The Other Side of Deception
.. is offline   Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 06:44 AM   #42
Chaz108
Account Disabled

Over the past few months, I've read 8 books by Lisa Gardner and enjoyed them all immensely. She's a great author if you enjoy shows like Criminal Minds and CSI.
Chaz108 is offline   Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 10:00 AM   #43
Guest111614
Account Disabled

User ID: 34338

I read mostly non-fiction, especially biographies & memoirs but also a lot of anthropology and health & nutrition.

Just finished The Operator (Tom King) about movie/music mogul David Geffen. Also Sex, Time and Power, How Women's Sexuality Shaped Human Evolution (Leonard Shlain) is a fascinating read. And if you curious about the many, various toxic chemicals found in every day products like carpet, bedding, electronics and kitchenware, try Slow Death by Rubber Duck but be prepared to live in fear of your own home for a while (it might be trying to kill you).
Guest111614 is offline   Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 07:39 AM   #44
Valued Poster

Default Dino Buzzati: Un amore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Oneeye View Post
Nel mezzo del cammin di nostra vita
mi ritrovai per una selva oscura,
ché la diritta via era smarrita.

Dante Alighieri
This wonderful sig made me read a book I wanted to read since quite some time.
(also to improve my passive italian language skills)

Dino Buzzati: Un amore

At least the italian original is IMO fantastic! (and it's clear that it's very autobiographical)

FYI, an amazon.com review:

"Milan, 1960. A fifty year old man, single and with a comfortable economic position, goes to a brothel. There he meets a new prostitute, about twenty years old, called Leide, to whom he becomes immediately smitten (despite the fact that she is not, in his own words, particularly attractive). They become lovers, he falls for her obvious lies, he spends a lot of money on her, despite knowing that she sees a lot of other men. He knows he is being taken by a fool by her, but he just can't cut his ties to Leide. As time goes by, Leide increasingly humiliates him with her behavior. The plot is not terribly fresh, and the protagonist even quotes the Blue Angel to explain his predicament. But this potent book (originally written in 1963, and a best seller in Italy at the time) ought to be better known today. Italian Author Buzzati (1906-1972) is in my opinion incredibly underrated as he was one of the most important European authors of the 20th century."

http://www.amazon.com/love-affair-Di.../dp/B0000CMIX3
.. is offline   Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 08:16 AM   #45
Valued Poster

Default Oswald Wiener: Bouvard und Pécuchet im Reich der Sinne

another excellent and quite obscure book for those who read german...

Oswald Wiener: Bouvard und Pécuchet im Reich der Sinne. Eine Tischrede.
http://www.scheidegger-spiess.ch/fullinfo.php?id=182

(it's in a way a dinner conversation about wine, wine industry, the meaning of life and in a way a supplement chapter to Gustave Flaubert's well-known: Bouvard et Pécuchet)
.. is offline   Quote

AMPReviews.net
Find Ladies
Hot Women