Welcome to ECCIE, become a part of the fastest growing adult community. Take a minute & sign up!

Welcome to ECCIE - Sign up today!

Become a part of one of the fastest growing adult communities online. We have something for you, whether you’re a male member seeking out new friends or a new lady on the scene looking to take advantage of our many opportunities to network, make new friends, or connect with people. Join today & take part in lively discussions, take advantage of all the great features that attract hundreds of new daily members!

Go Premium

Go Back   ECCIE Worldwide > General Interest > Diamonds and Tuxedos
Diamonds and Tuxedos Glamour, elegance, and sophistication. That's what it's all about here in ECCIE's newest forum which caters to those with expensive tastes, lavish lifestyles, and an appetite for upscale entertainment.

Most Favorited Images
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
Most Liked Images
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
Top Reviewers
cockalatte 645
MoneyManMatt 490
Still Looking 399
samcruz 398
Jon Bon 385
Harley Diablo 373
honest_abe 362
DFW_Ladies_Man 313
Chung Tran 288
lupegarland 287
nicemusic 285
You&Me 281
Starscream66 265
sharkman29 252
George Spelvin 248
Top Posters
DallasRain70435
biomed160686
Yssup Rider60005
gman4452941
LexusLover51038
WTF48267
offshoredrilling47609
pyramider46370
bambino40335
CryptKicker37090
Mokoa36487
Chung Tran36100
Still Looking35944
The_Waco_Kid35426
Mojojo33117

Old 01-05-2011, 05:22 PM   #31
WTF
Lifetime Premium Access

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjorourke View Post
I'm curious, what factoids have been totally erased from your daughter's books?

Point

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/03/13/education/13texas.html

Counterpoint

http://www.thenewamerican.com/index....ok-controversy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iaintliein View Post
Words are intangible abstractions. They have force but no weight, not because of what they are but because of what they represent. Some words like the one "who's name we do not speak" have come to represent something inherently evil in the mind of right thinking people. But in the end it's just a word. And anyone, of any color or background over the age of 10 has been called worse unless they grew up in an acrylic bubble.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iaintliein View Post

The problem is that if you hide the word, you obscure what it represents. Other words are intentionally misused almost daily for the sake of political correctness and or political expediency. Most discussions on political forums ultimately devolve into arguments about semantics because people think the words are what matter instead of what they represent.

Over sensitivity has only one result, irritation!

Just my opinion, of course.
And a very well written out opinion it is, captures how I feel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DickEmDown View Post
This forum is awesome, I need to visit more. WTF, why didn't you tell me about it???
Quote:

Carry on gents....I'm out

Edited: Personally, I consider myself "Black"...I was just using the Politically Correct term, funny huh?

I agree with my black brother DED! LOL

Look the rules say we can't write it, so why would we push that? There are other words to use to get the point across.

I actually agree with the concept of replacing 'slave' for the 'n' word to actual get more folks to read the book.

WTF is offline   Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 05:41 PM   #32
discreetgent
Valued Poster

Location: Even with a gorgeous avatar: Happiness is ephemeral

Quote:
Originally Posted by WTF View Post
I actually agree with the concept of replacing 'slave' for the 'n' word to actual get more folks to read the book.
Aside from whether or not I agree that any replacement is valid I am doubtful that it will get that many more people to read it; the original run is 7500 copies hardly enough to make a difference.
discreetgent is offline   Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 06:01 PM   #33
WTF
Lifetime Premium Access

Quote:
Originally Posted by discreetgent View Post
Aside from whether or not I agree that any replacement is valid I am doubtful that it will get that many more people to read it; the original run is 7500 copies hardly enough to make a difference.

Gotta start somewhere dg!

But seriously do you at least not concede that the 'n' word and all its baggage may have something to do with Huck's demise in schoolyard teaching?
WTF is offline   Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 06:04 PM   #34
discreetgent
Valued Poster

Location: Even with a gorgeous avatar: Happiness is ephemeral

Quote:
Originally Posted by WTF View Post
But seriously do you at least not concede that the 'n' word and all its baggage may have something to do with Huck's demise in schoolyard teaching?
I don't. I really don't feel it has had that kind of impact. (Mind you I have no empirical evidence one way or the other.)
discreetgent is offline   Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 06:49 PM   #35
pjorourke
Valued Poster

Encounters: 1

I have to admit I didn't read all that shit, but what I skimmed look more like difference in opinion rather than changing "facts". One could just as reasonably say that the other team had previously changed history to fit their world view and the new team is changing it back.

I don't know how to break this to you, but real historical facts (e.g., Columbus landed in the new world in 1492; Charlemagne was Emperor from 800 to 814; etc.) usually aren't in dispute. But history is more about opinions and interpretation that it is "facts".
pjorourke is offline   Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 07:11 PM   #36
MOCHAakaMOCHA
Hot, Smooth & Full-Bodied

User ID: 57609
My Bio Page
My ECCIE Reviews

Both....now not a fan of the n-word for more than obvious reasons but yeah I think it's PC run amuck.... it's both dumbing down and in this case actually being toosensitive.

It's stupid to replace the n-word with slave in this book...it just is. Are they going to do it to like every book with that word in it? Come on. Of course the n-word is inappropriate but so is replacing it with the word slave ....it just....feels wrong.

Quote:
Originally Posted by discreetgent View Post
PC run amuck?

New edition of Huckleberry Finn which substitutes the word *edited by staff-derogatory racial remarks DED* with slave

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/01/05/books/05huck.html?hp
MOCHAakaMOCHA is offline   Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 07:15 PM   #37
pjorourke
Valued Poster

This makes as much sense as rewriting Alice Walker's works to replace Ebonics with the King's English.
Old 01-05-2011, 07:55 PM   #38
charlestudor2005
Valued Poster

Encounters: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlestudor2005 View Post
If you think it's bad in NH, you should live in TX like me where the content of textbooks is determined for the whole country. And things that I consider to be important US history and US priorities and beliefs have been totally erased from the books. Gotta work overtime to teach my daughter what she should learn at school.
Quote:
I have to admit I didn't read all that shit, but what I skimmed look more like difference in opinion rather than changing "facts". One could just as reasonably say that the other team had previously changed history to fit their world view and the new team is changing it back.

I don't know how to break this to you, but real historical facts (e.g., Columbus landed in the new world in 1492; Charlemagne was Emperor from 800 to 814; etc.) usually aren't in dispute. But history is more about opinions and interpretation that it is "facts".
I agree, which is why I talked about the content.
charlestudor2005 is offline   Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 08:21 PM   #39
I B Hankering
Valued Poster

Encounters: 9

Fundamentally, the book was written to capture and convey the attitudes and morals of a segment of American society in the 19th century. If you change the words to reflect the attitudes and morals of a 21st century audience; why bother to study the book? It ticks me off that this academic is too squeamish to teach reality. Imagine a pre-med student trying to learn biology from a teacher, e.g., a PETA advocate, who objects to dissecting frogs, and other animals, to advance human knowledge.

Quote:
I agree, but if you choose to include one but not the other, that makes a difference. Context is another important issue. Many students today are being taught that Columbus was a 15-16th century Hitler. I dare anyone to show me where Columbus made plans in 1492, or earlier, to sail across an ocean, discover a New World and then exterminate the indigenous population.

And how is a sixteen year old supposed to decide which issues are more important; when, for example, my kids’ textbook devotes equal treatment to both Elvis Presley and "Herman" [sic] Plessy, Plessy v. Ferguson. In case you are wondering, I think Homer Plessy’s case is a much more important topic.
I B Hankering is offline   Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 08:26 PM   #40
WTF
Lifetime Premium Access

Default Now that is one funny image

Quote:
This makes as much sense as rewriting Alice Walker's works to replace Ebonics with the King's English.
rotflmao
WTF is offline   Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 08:30 PM   #41
WTF
Lifetime Premium Access

Default I'm all Shook up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by I B Hankering View Post
And how is a sixteen year old supposed to decide which issues are more important; when, for example, my kids’ textbook devotes equal treatment to both Elvis Presley and "Herman" [sic] Plessy, Plessy v. Ferguson. In case you are wondering, I think Homer Plessy’s case is a much more important topic.

Thank ya, Thank ya very much.
WTF is offline   Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 09:31 PM   #42
pjorourke
Valued Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlestudor2005 View Post
I agree, which is why I talked about the content.
So let me get this straight. You liked the old slant on history, but don't like the new one. Kind of like watching Fox vs. MSNBC -- neither one is more right than the other.
Old 01-05-2011, 09:34 PM   #43
Guest042611
Account Disabled

User ID: 8913

I'm horribly disturbed by this story. I have nothing to say that hasn't been said, but geez, this is frustrating on many levels.
Guest042611 is offline   Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 10:38 PM   #44
MOCHAakaMOCHA
Hot, Smooth & Full-Bodied

User ID: 57609
My Bio Page
My ECCIE Reviews

Quote:
So let me get this straight. You liked the old slant on history, but don't like the new one. Kind of like watching Fox vs. MSNBC -- neither one is more right than the other.

Ohhhh dunno about that....Fox ehhhhh
MOCHAakaMOCHA is offline   Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 07:14 AM   #45
Raphael
BANNED

Encounters: 24

Quote:
"Those who do not know history are condemned to repeat it"...

Although I agree with most on this thread, ECCIE does not allow any derogatory racial remarks

#2 - Derogatory racial remarks are simply unacceptable, period. Disrespect another's ethnic background and you will most certainly regret it.

How about practicing what you preach? I am sick and tired of the xenophobic slurs on the French in Houston.

The OP did not use a racially derogatory term. He used the first letter only, with stars. So did the great lawyer Johnny Cochrane many times during the OJ trial, whern he accused Mark Furman of using the word that starts with that letter, now censored away from eccie as well as from the novels of one of America's greatest authors, Mark Twain, whose novel, Pudd'nhead Wilson, must be deemed anti-racist as it recognizes (and appreciated) the existence of aristocracy among P*** of C***.

What is DED going to do next? Is he going to censor all news clips, speeches and interviews of Martin Luther King and other civil rights leaders, who throughout the sixties used a word that is no longer accepted today, i.e, the spanish term that describes a color that is the absence of light and not a color, school teachers of all racial, national and ethnic background assure us?

Quote:
Trust me...I do.
If you did DED, your buddies from the Houston lynch mob wouldn't be free to drive away fro Houston each and all who do not care to join that clique of flamers, insulters, and spewers of ethnically-derogatory slurs.
Raphael is offline   Quote

AMPReviews.net
Find Ladies
Hot Women