Welcome to ECCIE, become a part of the fastest growing adult community. Take a minute & sign up!

Welcome to ECCIE - Sign up today!

Become a part of one of the fastest growing adult communities online. We have something for you, whether you’re a male member seeking out new friends or a new lady on the scene looking to take advantage of our many opportunities to network, make new friends, or connect with people. Join today & take part in lively discussions, take advantage of all the great features that attract hundreds of new daily members!

Go Premium

Go Back   ECCIE Worldwide > General Interest > Diamonds and Tuxedos
Diamonds and Tuxedos Glamour, elegance, and sophistication. That's what it's all about here in ECCIE's newest forum which caters to those with expensive tastes, lavish lifestyles, and an appetite for upscale entertainment.

Most Favorited Images
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
Most Liked Images
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
Top Reviewers
cockalatte 645
MoneyManMatt 490
Still Looking 399
samcruz 398
Jon Bon 385
Harley Diablo 373
honest_abe 362
DFW_Ladies_Man 313
Chung Tran 288
lupegarland 287
nicemusic 285
You&Me 281
Starscream66 266
sharkman29 253
George Spelvin 252
Top Posters
DallasRain70467
biomed160975
Yssup Rider60189
gman4453025
LexusLover51038
WTF48267
offshoredrilling47741
pyramider46370
bambino40443
CryptKicker37105
Mokoa36487
Chung Tran36100
Still Looking35944
The_Waco_Kid35624
Mojojo33117

Old 09-28-2010, 09:53 PM   #16
John Bull
Valued Poster

While it's the right of any U.S. citizen to call any president a prick - or any other name of his choosing, where does the Constitution give a Brit or any other foreigner the right of free speech under our laws?
John Bull is offline   Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 10:19 PM   #17
Mazomaniac
Valued Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Bull View Post
While it's the right of any U.S. citizen to call any president a prick - or any other name of his choosing, where does the Constitution give a Brit or any other foreigner the right of free speech under our laws?
The First Amendment applies both inside and outside the US.

Unlike some of the other amendments that specifically mention and apply only to the "people" of the United States, the First Amendment forbids restriction on speech in general. It's not limited to the people or the territory of the United States.

Cheers,
Mazo.
Mazomaniac is offline   Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 10:23 PM   #18
John Bull
Valued Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mazomaniac View Post
The First Amendment applies both inside and outside the US.

Unlike some of the other amendments that specifically mention and apply only to the "people" of the United States, the First Amendment forbids restriction on speech in general. It's not limited to the people or the territory of the United States.

Cheers,
Mazo.
I'm sure the Chinese will be glad to hear that their people are protected by our 1st Amendment.
Old 09-28-2010, 10:51 PM   #19
Camille
Pending Age Verification

User ID: 511
My ECCIE Reviews

Quote:
I'm sure the Chinese will be glad to hear that their people are protected by our 1st Amendment.
JB, your oneliners are becoming as legendary as PJ's

Hypothetically, if this kid had ONLY called the POTUS a prick (no threats or anything else)...would the ammendment even be relevent to his situation given he was on UK soil when he said it? Wouldn't he have to be on US soil for it to apply with regards Freedom of Speech at least?
Camille is offline   Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 07:15 AM   #20
pjorourke
Valued Poster

Encounters: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexTushHog View Post
I think it depends on the nature of the threat. Did he threaten to write a letter to The Guardian exposing the perfidy and uselessness of his policies in Afghanistan? Did he threaten to denounce him at Speaker's Corner on Sunday? Did he threaten to turn him over to the Hague War Crimes Tribunal? Or was it a credible threat of actual imminent violence? Unless it was the latter, I think it's irrelevant that there was a threat.
Sounds like you have a potential client. Take this boy on pro-bono and get the ban lifted.
pjorourke is offline   Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 07:41 AM   #21
pjorourke
Valued Poster

Actually, the kid is lucky that we don't have any Predator drones flying over England.

Remember the good old days when Bush just trampled individual rights "in theory"?
Old 09-29-2010, 07:45 AM   #22
Mazomaniac
Valued Poster

Quote:
Because God help us if we EVER have to listen to a point of view that's not our own . . . .

Cheers,
Mazo.
Old 09-29-2010, 08:15 AM   #23
Guest083011
Account Disabled

Encounters: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjorourke View Post
Remember the good old days when Bush just trampled individual rights "in theory"?
"Rights?! Rights?! We don' need no steenkin' rights."
Guest083011 is offline   Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 08:28 AM   #24
Mazomaniac
Valued Poster

Lest some here come to the conclusion that the US free speech tradition should not be applied outside the friendly confines of the US borders, consider the consequences of the alternative.

Under French defamation law you can be run up on both civil and criminal charges for making "any allegation or imputation of an act affecting the honour or reputation of the person or body against whom it is made". This includes statements posted on the internet which are visible to users in France.

So all you have to do to get charged with a crime under French law is to make a statement anywhere in the world that offends the "honour" of a Frenchman that in any way makes it back to France over the net. You never have to go to France. You never have to intend that the statement will be published in France. Just say something to somebody that ends up on the internet where it can be seen in France et viola, criminal prosecution.

It just happened to the CEO of Google three weeks ago. He and the company were prosecuted in France because the "Google Suggest" function kept bringing up words like "rapist" when you typed in the names of known French sex offenders. Since in France it "offends the honour" of a person to tell people he's a convicted felon after he's done his time and has been "rehabilitated", Google and its CEO got run up for just suggesting that these convicted sex offenders were . . . well . . . convicted sex offenders.

Is that really the kind of thing that we want in this country? I don't think so. Free and open access to ideas - regardless of where they come from - is critical to the efficient functioning of a democratic government. How are you gonna fix what's wrong with the country if nobody's allowed to point out the flaws?

If it's OK for an American to bitch his ass off about something then it's OK for a foreigner to do the same thing IMHO. The kid in Camille's example crossed the line and did something that would have been a crime even if an American had done it. But if some unknown arse in some unknown place decides to "offend my honour" on the internet then let him. My ego isn't so big that I won't live through it. I'm perfectly happy to extend the First Amendment to anybody who needs it.

Cheers,
Mazo.
Old 09-29-2010, 11:41 AM   #25
Laurentius
Valued Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mazomaniac View Post
If it's OK for an American to bitch his ass off about something then it's OK for a foreigner to do the same thing IMHO. The kid in Camille's example crossed the line and did something that would have been a crime even if an American had done it. But if some unknown arse in some unknown place decides to "offend my honour" on the internet then let him. My ego isn't so big that I won't live through it. I'm perfectly happy to extend the First Amendment to anybody who needs it.
While we disagree on a great deal, we DO agree on this.

Frankly, I believe the various anti-free-speech laws throughout Europe, particularly those that hold people outside of Europe responsible under their laws, are a travesty.

We need nothing of the sort here.
Laurentius is offline   Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 01:20 PM   #26
John Bull
Valued Poster

Oh Yes! That foreign application is in Amendment IAA. Missed it before!
Old 09-29-2010, 04:39 PM   #27
charlestudor2005
Valued Poster

Encounters: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurentius View Post
While we disagree on a great deal, we DO agree on this.

Frankly, I believe the various anti-free-speech laws throughout Europe, particularly those that hold people outside of Europe responsible under their laws, are a travesty.

We need nothing of the sort here.
The most insidious anti-free speech "laws" are those that ensure death, torture or confinement in some hell hole at a dictator's whim. Just sayin'...
charlestudor2005 is offline   Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 08:53 PM   #28
TexTushHog
Professional Tush Hog.

Encounters: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by SR Only View Post
"Rights?! Rights?! We don' need no steenkin' rights."
Hey!! We have a retired President on the board!!!! Come to one of the socials, W. There are a number of issues I'd like to talk to you about. ( Unless of course your predecessor is there. In that case, I'm chasin' pussy with Bill and takin' notes. Lot's of notes.)
TexTushHog is offline   Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 09:05 PM   #29
Guest083011
Account Disabled

Encounters: 6

Sorry my quote was a para-phrase from "The Treasure of Sierra Madrč." PJ has warned me about trying to be humorous.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stinking_badges
Guest083011 is offline   Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 08:15 AM   #30
pjorourke
Valued Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by SR Only View Post
PJ has warned me about trying to be humorous.
And you didn't listen, did you.

AMPReviews.net
Find Ladies
Hot Women