Welcome to ECCIE, become a part of the fastest growing adult community. Take a minute & sign up!

Welcome to ECCIE - Sign up today!

Become a part of one of the fastest growing adult communities online. We have something for you, whether you’re a male member seeking out new friends or a new lady on the scene looking to take advantage of our many opportunities to network, make new friends, or connect with people. Join today & take part in lively discussions, take advantage of all the great features that attract hundreds of new daily members!

Go Premium

Go Back   ECCIE Worldwide > General Interest > Diamonds and Tuxedos
Diamonds and Tuxedos Glamour, elegance, and sophistication. That's what it's all about here in ECCIE's newest forum which caters to those with expensive tastes, lavish lifestyles, and an appetite for upscale entertainment.

Most Favorited Images
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
Most Liked Images
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
Top Reviewers
cockalatte 645
MoneyManMatt 490
Still Looking 399
samcruz 398
Jon Bon 385
Harley Diablo 373
honest_abe 362
DFW_Ladies_Man 313
Chung Tran 288
lupegarland 287
nicemusic 285
You&Me 281
Starscream66 267
sharkman29 253
George Spelvin 248
Top Posters
DallasRain70443
biomed160786
Yssup Rider60150
gman4452955
LexusLover51038
WTF48267
offshoredrilling47650
pyramider46370
bambino40371
CryptKicker37102
Mokoa36487
Chung Tran36100
Still Looking35944
The_Waco_Kid35507
Mojojo33117

Old 01-13-2011, 03:54 PM   #256
Texas Contrarian
Lifetime Premium Access

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexTushHog View Post
In a liquidity trap, there isn't enough demand to meet the existing capacity of the economy, much less to expand. Companies fear, justifiably, that business won't come back for some time even to occupy current capacity.
What companies really fear is the uncertainty overhang arising from concerns about how the political elite are going to manage issues such as health care mandates and out-of-control fiscal deficits. People making hiring decisions don't just look at the next year or two, they look at the next 5 or 10 years -- or more.

And they're not very comfortable with what they see. No one is going to cut spending to any appreciable degree. The Republican majority will probably be able to hold spending increases to a lower level than a disastrous Pelosi congress would, but that's about it. Everyone realizes that a very big tax increase is coming sooner or later. I still believe we'll see a VAT within the next 4 or 5 years. It's the only way you can even come remotely close to paying for all this spending. Talk about a demand-dampener!

Of course, we could go on paying for all this with borrowed and printed money, but I think you know that's not likely to end well.

Quote:
Hence the viscous circular nature of a liquidity trap without stimulus spending.
If you think "stimulus" spending is so vital to recovery, then how do you explain the exceptionally robust recovery following the severe recession of 1920-21? At that time, industrial production and aggregate demand virtually fell off a cliff. Year-over-year deflation was almost 15% and the unemployment rate rose sharply. Yet instead of undertaking foolish "stimulus" spending measures, the government sharply cut spending and cut taxes. Paul Krugman's head would have started spinning if he'd been around at the time. Yet the economy quickly rebounded and from about 1922-27 turned in the best year-over-year GDP increases of any period in the last century.

Instead of listening to left-wing academic economists who have been wrong about almost everything for many years, it would be nice if people actually learned a thing or two about economic history.

Massive increases in government spending make the outlook for sustained, robust economic growth worse, not better.
Texas Contrarian is online now   Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 08:31 PM   #257
TexTushHog
Professional Tush Hog.

Encounters: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainMidnight View Post
If you think "stimulus" spending is so vital to recovery, then how do you explain the exceptionally robust recovery following the severe recession of 1920-21? At that time, industrial production and aggregate demand virtually fell off a cliff. Year-over-year deflation was almost 15% and the unemployment rate rose sharply. Yet instead of undertaking foolish "stimulus" spending measures, the government sharply cut spending and cut taxes.
You should quit listening to all those Austrian school economists. I don't think even the Chicago boys believe in them any more. If you want answers to your questions -- and there are answers -- you'll find them in this article:

http://www.springerlink.com/content/5683j4v650187261/

The less scholarly version is here:

http://largegreenbird.blogspot.com/2...servative.html
TexTushHog is offline   Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 08:49 PM   #258
Texas Contrarian
Lifetime Premium Access

Quote:
You should quit listening to all those Austrian school economists. I don't think even the Chicago boys believe in them any more. If you want answers to your questions -- and there are answers -- you'll find them in this article:

And why don't you stop listening to clueless left-wing fools who have no idea what the hell they're talking about?

Tush Hog, I trust you'll understand that I have have limited interest in debating economic issues with you, given your history of hurling cheap insults. Last time it became clear to everyone that you had no idea what you were talking about and were getting thoroughly shellacked in the debate, you lashed out by posting that one of your favorite left-wing economists (Joe Stiglitz) is "far brighter" than I am. I must confess that I got a chuckle or two out of it, but if that's the best you can do, I suggest that you refrain from popping off with statements that just make you look like an ignorant fool.
Old 01-13-2011, 09:02 PM   #259
DFW5Traveler
Valued Poster

Encounters: 13

Quote:

Blogs = personal opinion of someone who actually thinks they are an expert. And when did the chi-town boys ever think to listen to anyone outside of Keynes?

I find it ironic that TTH says he does better under a capitalist-republican regime and then condemns the political party that gives him the ability to retire in France.

CM is right and the roaring 20's were a result of austerity measures that forced the govt to live within its means.
DFW5Traveler is offline   Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 06:01 PM   #260
discreetgent
Valued Poster

Location: Even with a gorgeous avatar: Happiness is ephemeral

So no back to the interesting part lol

Republicans campaigned heavily on reducing the deficit and cutting taxes - or at least not raising them. To cut the deficit without raising taxes means cutting funding for programs. Here is where this will become fascinating: The 2 largest programs out there are Social Security and Medicaid. It seems that 2/3rds of Americans would rather see payroll taxes rise then seeing those programs face budget cuts (NYT/CBS Polls, and their polls are done professionally with standard statistical tools). Looks like I'm going to be eating a lot of popcorn for a while.

And because I can't resist: The Texas economic miracle was forced into $31 billion in budget cuts (btw RK has promised to cure me of my misguided thoughts)
discreetgent is offline   Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 06:22 PM   #261
pjorourke
Valued Poster

Encounters: 1

Here is a down payment:
http://www.redstate.com/ladyimpactoh...reduction-act/
pjorourke is offline   Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 06:34 PM   #262
discreetgent
Valued Poster

Downpayments are easy, dealing with entitlements .....
Old 01-20-2011, 06:43 PM   #263
pjorourke
Valued Poster

Lets start with a big freakin one that hasn't even started -- Repeal Obamacare. The House has already voted.
Old 01-20-2011, 06:51 PM   #264
Ansley
Pending Age Verification

User ID: 499
My ECCIE Reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjorourke View Post
Lets start with a big freakin one that hasn't even started -- Repeal Obamacare. The House has already voted.
This subject deserves a thread. Please.
Ansley is offline   Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 07:12 PM   #265
discreetgent
Valued Poster

Quote:
You mean the vote that the CBO said would ADD 143 Billion to the deficit?
Old 01-20-2011, 07:12 PM   #266
discreetgent
Valued Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ansley View Post
This subject deserves a thread. Please.
Ansley, if you start one they may follow.
Old 01-20-2011, 07:44 PM   #267
pjorourke
Valued Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by discreetgent View Post
That number is bullshit and you know it.
Old 01-20-2011, 07:49 PM   #268
discreetgent
Valued Poster

Quote:
At least the CBO lays out what assumptions it is making, the timeframe, a best case, and a worst case scenario.

At times it has Dems bitching at it, at times Republicans which is a good thing if you are supposed to be an objective assessor lol

Not a whole lot of numbers out there that have undergone anything near that kind of analysis. So if you want to call it bullshit, fine but all the other numbers are less reliable.

On a side note: do you REALLY believe the Republicans want to repeal the Health Care bill because if the deficit?
Old 01-20-2011, 07:58 PM   #269
Texas Contrarian
Lifetime Premium Access

Quote:
Republicans campaigned heavily on reducing the deficit and cutting taxes - or at least not raising them. To cut the deficit without raising taxes means cutting funding for programs. Here is where this will become fascinating: The 2 largest programs out there are Social Security and Medicaid...
They may make noises about cutting spending, but it'll just be tinkering around the edges at most -- maybe a couple of percentage points cut from domestic discretionary spending (which only makes up about one-seventh of the budget).

No one is going to take a meat axe to Social Security or Medicare. People would start rioting in the streets.

And no one is going to raise taxes on the middle class to any significant degree. Both parties have engaged in substantial overpromising in this area. We're going to simply continue hurtling toward a fiscal train wreck. Everything will look OK until all of a sudden it doesn't!

Quote:
Quote:
Yep.

The number is bullshit because all the CBO does is calculate what the bottom line is based on assumptions fed them by the people who order up the report, no matter how fanciful or unrealistic they may be. It's simply GIGO. In fact, the health care "reform" bill relies on Enron-style accounting to keep the 10-year cost projections below a trillion bucks. The notion that it will actually reduce deficits doesn't even rise to the level of being worth laughing at.
Old 01-20-2011, 08:01 PM   #270
Ansley
Pending Age Verification

User ID: 499
My ECCIE Reviews

Quote:
Ansley, if you start one they may follow.
Looks like y'all are pretty deep into this. I'll continue reading.
Ansley is offline   Quote

AMPReviews.net
Find Ladies
Hot Women