Welcome to ECCIE, become a part of the fastest growing adult community. Take a minute & sign up!

Welcome to ECCIE - Sign up today!

Become a part of one of the fastest growing adult communities online. We have something for you, whether you’re a male member seeking out new friends or a new lady on the scene looking to take advantage of our many opportunities to network, make new friends, or connect with people. Join today & take part in lively discussions, take advantage of all the great features that attract hundreds of new daily members!

Go Premium

Go Back   ECCIE Worldwide > General Interest > The Political Forum
The Political Forum Discuss anything related to politics in this forum. World politics, US Politics, State and Local.

Most Favorited Images
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
Most Liked Images
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
Top Reviewers
cockalatte 645
MoneyManMatt 490
Still Looking 399
samcruz 399
Jon Bon 385
Harley Diablo 373
honest_abe 362
DFW_Ladies_Man 313
Chung Tran 288
lupegarland 287
nicemusic 285
You&Me 281
Starscream66 267
George Spelvin 253
sharkman29 253
Top Posters
DallasRain70487
biomed161100
Yssup Rider60189
gman4453050
LexusLover51038
WTF48267
offshoredrilling47791
pyramider46370
bambino40455
CryptKicker37108
Mokoa36487
Chung Tran36100
Still Looking35944
The_Waco_Kid35624
Mojojo33117

Old 08-09-2018, 08:49 PM   #196
lustylad
BANNED

Encounters: 9
Default What Would Milton Say?

Ok, I am going to toss a grenade into this debate... remember Milton Friedman? Conservative icon? Here's what he had to say back in 1979:

"When anyone complains about unfair competition, consumers beware. That is really a cry for special privilege, always at the expense of the consumer. What we need in this country is free competition. As consumers buying in an international market, the more unfair the competition the better. That means lower prices and better quality for us. If foreign governments want to use their taxpayers’ money to sell people in the United States goods below cost, why should we complain? Their own taxpayers will complain soon enough, and it will not last for very long.

http://www.aei.org/publication/milto...d-we-complain/
lustylad is offline   Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 08:49 PM   #197
gnadfly
Account Disabled

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yssup Rider View Post
This user is on your Ignore List.
Why don't you make like a muppet and kermit suicide?
gnadfly is offline   Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 08:52 PM   #198
Tiny
Lifetime Premium Access

Encounters: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Waco_Kid View Post
don't overthink this, it will melt your limited brain. some things can be expressed in yes or no terms.

just to let you defecate .. er deflect again ...

"if there was no federal deficit would you be ok with unfair trade?"

"Unfair trade is any trade that is unfair" - TWK

now answer the fucking question or stop being an obfuscated asshole
CAN YOU READ??? FOR THE THIRD TIME, IF A FOREIGN GOVERNMENT AND FOREIGN WORKERS PUT MONEY IN OUR POCKETS THROUGH UNFAIR TRADE, I'M FINE WITH IT. IF VIETNAM AND CHINA WANT TO UNFAIRLY SUBSIDIZE THEIR GARMENT INDUSTRIES, SO WE CAN BUY CHEAP CLOTHES THAT DON'T MAKE SENSE TO MANUFACTURE IN THE USA, THEN I'M ALL FOR IT. IF, SAY, JAPAN, REFUSES TO ALLOW IMPORTS OF USA BEEF, THEN I'M AGAINST IT.

THE DEFICIT, WHETHER IT'S THE TRADE DEFICIT OR FEDERAL BUDGET DEFICIT, IS IRRELEVANT.

I said the current account equals the change in savings less the change in investment. And a large federal deficit reduces savings. You didn't understand that, and somehow twisted it in your mind to mean that if we had a federal budget surplus then unfair trade is fine. I never said anything even remotely like that.
Tiny is offline   Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 08:57 PM   #199
The_Waco_Kid
BANNED

Encounters: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiny View Post
CAN YOU READ??? FOR THE THIRD TIME, IF A FOREIGN GOVERNMENT AND FOREIGN WORKERS PUT MONEY IN OUR POCKETS THROUGH UNFAIR TRADE, I'M FINE WITH IT. IF VIETNAM AND CHINA WANT TO UNFAIRLY SUBSIDIZE THEIR GARMENT INDUSTRIES, SO WE CAN BUY CHEAP CLOTHES THAT DON'T MAKE SENSE TO MANUFACTURE IN THE USA, THEN I'M ALL FOR IT. IF, SAY, JAPAN, REFUSES TO ALLOW IMPORTS OF USA BEEF, THEN I'M AGAINST IT.
THE DEFICIT, WHETHER IT'S THE TRADE DEFICIT OR FEDERAL BUDGET DEFICIT, IS IRRELEVANT.

so. you are for UNFAIR TRADE. you fucking commie.

and for the THIRD time you DID NOT answer the question.
The_Waco_Kid is offline   Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 09:05 PM   #200
Tiny
Lifetime Premium Access

Quote:
Originally Posted by lustylad;1060803351 [B
If foreign governments want to use their taxpayers’ money to sell people in the United States goods below cost, why should we complain?[/B] Their own taxpayers will complain soon enough, and it will not last for very long.[/I]
Hear, hear. If somebody's going to spend $1.00 making something and sell it to us for $0.50, year after year, why do you want to turn that down?
Tiny is offline   Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 09:06 PM   #201
lustylad
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Waco_Kid View Post
what i mean and tiny brain said is if there was no federal (budget) deficit then a trade deficit wouldn't matter.
Ok, I follow what you're saying now. Tiny said the trade deficit is a symptom of our low national savings rate, and the biggest culprit behind our low savings rate is the federal govt which is a huge net borrower of funds.

My problem with tiny's argument is that our level of saving doesn't drive the trade deficit; rather, the trade deficit drives our need to offset it with capital inflows. (The tail doesn't wag the dog.) Tiny is correct when he says at the end of the day everything has to balance out mathematically. But we have no problem attracting enough capital to plug the holes in our trade in manufactured goods. And that capital is mostly foreign money seeking a safe haven or higher returns in the US, not borrowings from China or other problematic sources.
Old 08-09-2018, 09:19 PM   #202
lustylad
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiny View Post
Hear, hear. If somebody's going to spend $1.00 making something and sell it to us for $0.50, year after year, why do you want to turn that down?
Hey, I didn't say I agreed with ol' Miltie. He made that statement back in 1979, before China's economy started taking off. In China's case, the part about their own taxpayers complaining so the subsidies "won't last very long" doesn't apply. China can keep subsidizing until the cows come home and they have driven many of our industries are out of business. Textiles might not matter much, but steel and microchips do.
Old 08-09-2018, 09:38 PM   #203
Tiny
Lifetime Premium Access

Quote:
Originally Posted by lustylad View Post
My problem with tiny's argument is that our level of saving doesn't drive the trade deficit; rather, the trade deficit drives our need to offset it with capital inflows. (The tail doesn't wag the dog.) Tiny is correct when he says at the end of the day everything has to balance out mathematically. But we have no problem attracting enough capital to plug the holes in our trade in manufactured goods. And that capital is mostly foreign money seeking a safe haven or higher returns in the US, not borrowings from China or other problematic sources.
LustyLad, I'm reluctant to argue with you, because you know a ton about this. I've read several articles written by economists who argued low national savings is the main reason or one of the main reasons for our current account deficit. They're probably not as smart as you though -- and I'm not being facetious.

You're undoubtedly right that we are better able than other countries to "attract enough capital to plug the holes in our trade in manufactured goods." There are other countries, with smaller current account deficits, that could not plug the hole and suffered mightily as a result - over the last 30 years, Indonesia, Argentina and Russia come to mind. But there's something magical about the U.S. dollar.

China holds $1.2 trillion in U.S. treasuries, not a lot compared to the total $15.3 trillion held by the public. And indeed a lot of investors in U.S. debt aren't problematic. Can we count on this forever? That the dollar will be the primary reserve currency and people in Latin America, Africa, etc. will prefer dollars instead of Euros, Swiss Francs, gold, whatever? That the dollar will retain its magic? Maybe. Or maybe not. In the early 80's it looked like it was losing it. I wonder if we start running up huge debt to the rest of the world if we could be putting ourselves at risk, like other countries do.
Tiny is offline   Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 09:42 PM   #204
I B Hankering
Valued Poster

Quote:
Hey, I didn't say I agreed with ol' Miltie. He made that statement back in 1979, before China's economy started taking off. In China's case, the part about their own taxpayers complaining so the subsidies "won't last very long" doesn't apply. China can keep subsidizing until the cows come home and they have driven many of our industries are out of business. Textiles might not matter much, but steel and microchips do.
+1

Those are strategic industries that every country needs to insure its independence. The U.S. can ill afford to depend on other countries for those skills and resources. And, there's the piracy of intellectual property to consider. China should have to invest in its own R & D and not be allowed to carte blanche steal it from the U.S. Paying for the cost of research and development while China just steals it puts the U.S. at a disadvantage in the market place.
I B Hankering is offline   Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 09:43 PM   #205
Tiny
Lifetime Premium Access

Quote:
Actually it's a bigger problem if the subsidies don't last long. You cut prices below costs, put your competitors out of business, then raise them again and screw the consumer. And you do that as fast as you can. This works great for monopolies, and maybe could apply at the national level too.

If China were willing to manufacture certain items that cost $1.00 and sell them for $0.50, we're better served manufacturing something different where we can make a profit. That's an exaggerated example, but something like that has been going on, and it's part of the reason our standard of living is so much higher than theirs, even though China produces a lot. They're slaving away so we can live high on the hog.

Agreed, there are certain products that are strategically important, where this argument doesn't apply. Do steel and commodity chips belong in that category? Maybe or maybe not. We need them for defense purposes. On the other hand overall the economy and consumers benefit from low priced foreign steel and commodity (not high end) microchips. If you ban those from the USA, either directly or through high tariffs, it's going to hurt more than it would help.
Tiny is offline   Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 11:56 PM   #206
dilbert firestorm
Premium Access

Encounters: 4

ont top of that, china is building a panopticon society using an honor credit system to regulate peoples behavior.
dilbert firestorm is offline   Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 05:09 AM   #207
Tiny
Lifetime Premium Access

Deleted post
Tiny is offline   Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 11:16 AM   #208
MT Pockets
Valued Poster

Encounters: 20

Quote:
Damn right, trailerboy.
LOL! I sided with you and still you want to be a dick. Okay fine Wacko is right and you are an idiot
MT Pockets is offline   Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 12:41 PM   #209
MT Pockets
Valued Poster

Encounters: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by I B Hankering View Post
Try as you might you can't change history, and Slick Willie the Perjuring Sexual Predator's signature repealed Glass-Steagall, M T Brain Socket. Your inability to color within the lines is why your mommy took your crayons away, M T Brain Socket. And Slick Willie the Perjuring Sexual Predator and hildebeest did receive money from Russians, M T Brain Socket, not just Canadians. Rosatom is a Russian firm, M T Brain Socket. Rosatom controlled a part of Uranium One when it *donated* $9 million to hildebeest, M T Brain Socket.

LOL Glass-Steagall. You know dam well he tried to veto the Gramm-Leach-Bliley Act until Star Blackmailed him into not blocking it. That was a Republican deal and everyone knows that. You are an idiot. And by the way quit adding other shit in just because you are losing the argument LOL!
MT Pockets is offline   Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 12:59 PM   #210
I B Hankering
Valued Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by MT Pockets View Post
LOL Glass-Steagall. You know dam well he tried to veto the Gramm-Leach-Bliley Act until Star Blackmailed him into not blocking it. That was a Republican deal and everyone knows that. You are an idiot. And by the way quit adding other shit in just because you are losing the argument LOL!
You're a lying SOB, M T Brain Socket! What everyone knows is that Slick Willie the Perjuring Sexual Predator's boy, Larry Summers, lobbied for that bill and that Slick Willie the Perjuring Sexual Predator readily signed it into law repealing Glass-Steagall -- which led to the economic meltdown, M T Brain Socket.
I B Hankering is offline   Quote

AMPReviews.net
Find Ladies
Hot Women