Welcome to ECCIE, become a part of the fastest growing adult community. Take a minute & sign up!

Welcome to ECCIE - Sign up today!

Become a part of one of the fastest growing adult communities online. We have something for you, whether you’re a male member seeking out new friends or a new lady on the scene looking to take advantage of our many opportunities to network, make new friends, or connect with people. Join today & take part in lively discussions, take advantage of all the great features that attract hundreds of new daily members!

Go Premium

Go Back   ECCIE Worldwide > Texas > Houston > The Sandbox - Houston
The Sandbox - Houston The Sandbox is a collection of off-topic discussions. Humorous threads, Sports talk, and a wide variety of other topics can be found here. If it's NOT an adult-themed topic, then it belongs here

Most Favorited Images
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
Most Liked Images
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
Top Reviewers
cockalatte 645
MoneyManMatt 490
Still Looking 399
samcruz 398
Jon Bon 385
Harley Diablo 373
honest_abe 362
DFW_Ladies_Man 313
Chung Tran 288
lupegarland 287
nicemusic 285
You&Me 281
Starscream66 263
sharkman29 251
George Spelvin 248
Top Posters
DallasRain70421
biomed160589
Yssup Rider59937
gman4452935
LexusLover51038
WTF48267
offshoredrilling47561
pyramider46370
bambino40328
CryptKicker37083
Mokoa36486
Chung Tran36100
Still Looking35944
The_Waco_Kid35390
Mojojo33117

Old 05-02-2013, 08:06 AM   #151
jbravo_123
Verified Member

Encounters: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liliana Vess View Post
I was good with the series until you forced me to read Side Jobs instead of reading Ghost Story like I wanted to.
Yeah, I recommended that you read 1 short story (Aftermath) out of the entire book - you know, the one that continues on with the series...

That was also like 2 years ago...
jbravo_123 is offline   Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 09:08 AM   #152
Guest100613
Account Disabled

User ID: 155138
My ECCIE Reviews

Aftermath is a continuation? I missed part of the Dresden saga?
Oh, I have that calendar, too... It's actually hanging in my incall kitchen. My favorite childhood heroine graces the page of my birthday month.
Guest100613 is offline   Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 09:24 AM   #153
jbravo_123
Verified Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by theCFE View Post
Aftermath is a continuation? I missed part of the Dresden saga?
Oh, I have that calendar, too... It's actually hanging in my incall kitchen. My favorite childhood heroine graces the page of my birthday month.
You didn't read Side Jobs either?!?

I really liked Side Jobs a lot - the stories really let you see into the lives of many of the other characters outside of Harry's interference.

And yes, Aftermath continues on the story. Some of the things in the other stories (such as the character Nick Christian in Ghost Story) are mentioned in the future Dresden books, but Aftermath was published only in Side Jobs and directly deals with that time period between Changes & Ghost Story.

Hmm, now to play the guessing game of which heroine you're talking about... too bad your showcase is down now and I can't cheat that way!

First guess: Lady Amalthea from the Last Unicorn.
Old 05-02-2013, 05:00 PM   #154
spice-is-nice
Lifetime Premium Access

Encounters: 28

I may still be an alien in most groups, but I have found others of my species!!

Does having a deep and abiding love affair with Princess Bride count in this category? I know a ridiculous number of lines from that movie.

Big fan of Sharon Lee and Steve Miller's Liaden Universe books.

Star Wars vs. Star Trek, how can one choose which one of his children he likes best. I love them all, but forced to choose, I would take Star Wars over Star Trek. And what about Firefly? I'd probably pick Mal as my favorite Starship Captain, but Kirk over Picard in that classic debate.

I liked superhero comics when I was growing up, though not nearly as encyclopedically as some of y'all. Probably my favorite character was Green Lantern, though I loved Aquaman, and Wonder Woman. Superman and Batman were good also.

Never got into role playing games.

I've always hoped that someone would make a good movie out of Heinlein's Stranger in a Strange Land. Can you grok it? And is everyone aware of the extreme similarities between Heinlein's Martian Flat Cats in The Rolling Stones and Tribbles. The Trouble with Tribbles, unsurprisingly I suppose, is my favorite sci-fi TV episode ever.

Loved the first couple of the Dune books, didn't care for the movie and mini-series, but did get a kick out of Sting as Feyd Rautha. He was also fun in Quadrophenia!

Was enthralled by Orson Scott Card's Ender's Game and Speaker for the Dead. Can't wait to see the movie version of Ender's Game this fall.Love the Iron Man movies best of the superhero movies, but the X-men flicks rock as well.

Free associating other geek loves: Scrabble, Piers Anthony's Bio of a Space Tyrant series, Catherine Asaro's Ruby Dynasty books, shape-shifter books Asimov's Foundation books, Ringworld, Saberhagen's Lost Swords series, best short story ever--Harlan Ellison's Repent, Harlequin, Said the Tick Tock Man, the Gil Gerard Buck Roger's TV show (lord did I lust after Erin Gray!).

Well, more than enough for now. Great thread!!
spice-is-nice is offline   Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 06:22 PM   #155
BatteriesNotIncluded
Valued Poster

Princess Bride crosses nerd boundaries... But is awesome!
BatteriesNotIncluded is offline   Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 08:54 PM   #156
jbravo_123
Verified Member

In the theater at IM3... saving seats for slow people... such is life...
Old 05-02-2013, 09:11 PM   #157
Dorian Gray
Premium Access

Encounters: 58

Dorian Gray is offline   Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 09:24 PM   #158
jbravo_123
Verified Member

Old 05-02-2013, 10:23 PM   #159
Guest100613
Account Disabled

My ECCIE Reviews

Okay guys, NO SPOILERS, mmmkay?!
Old 05-03-2013, 08:42 AM   #160
jbravo_123
Verified Member

Tony gets a new suit. It breaks. There are some explosions involved. The suit gets better.
Old 05-03-2013, 10:43 AM   #161
klutz
Valued Poster

Encounters: 46

Shocker...
klutz is offline   Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 10:43 AM   #162
Guest100613
Account Disabled

My ECCIE Reviews

So, jbravo, you got it in one, and what a lovely job the artist did on her.

S I N - I'm a fan of Anthony from my teenage years; Xanth is delightfully punny, but I think my favorite series of his is his Mode series, although it would appear I missed the conclusion. I suffer from literary ADD. I'm currently reading The Name of the Wind by Rothfuss, and I'm deeply, passionately in love with it. It may supplant my previous favorite (The Belgariad by Eddings).

BNI - I do not think that word means what you think it means...

jbravo - that doesn't count as a spoiler; that's the plot of every IM movie.
Old 05-03-2013, 11:50 AM   #163
jbravo_123
Verified Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by spice-is-nice View Post
I may still be an alien in most groups, but I have found others of my species!!

Does having a deep and abiding love affair with Princess Bride count in this category? I know a ridiculous number of lines from that movie.

Big fan of Sharon Lee and Steve Miller's Liaden Universe books.

Star Wars vs. Star Trek, how can one choose which one of his children he likes best. I love them all, but forced to choose, I would take Star Wars over Star Trek. And what about Firefly? I'd probably pick Mal as my favorite Starship Captain, but Kirk over Picard in that classic debate.

I liked superhero comics when I was growing up, though not nearly as encyclopedically as some of y'all. Probably my favorite character was Green Lantern, though I loved Aquaman, and Wonder Woman. Superman and Batman were good also.

Never got into role playing games.

I've always hoped that someone would make a good movie out of Heinlein's Stranger in a Strange Land. Can you grok it? And is everyone aware of the extreme similarities between Heinlein's Martian Flat Cats in The Rolling Stones and Tribbles. The Trouble with Tribbles, unsurprisingly I suppose, is my favorite sci-fi TV episode ever.

Loved the first couple of the Dune books, didn't care for the movie and mini-series, but did get a kick out of Sting as Feyd Rautha. He was also fun in Quadrophenia!

Was enthralled by Orson Scott Card's Ender's Game and Speaker for the Dead. Can't wait to see the movie version of Ender's Game this fall.Love the Iron Man movies best of the superhero movies, but the X-men flicks rock as well.

Free associating other geek loves: Scrabble, Piers Anthony's Bio of a Space Tyrant series, Catherine Asaro's Ruby Dynasty books, shape-shifter books Asimov's Foundation books, Ringworld, Saberhagen's Lost Swords series, best short story ever--Harlan Ellison's Repent, Harlequin, Said the Tick Tock Man, the Gil Gerard Buck Roger's TV show (lord did I lust after Erin Gray!).

Well, more than enough for now. Great thread!!
The Princess Bride is of course a favorite - I'm certain many here can quote memorable lines from it, such as "There's a shortage of perfect breasts in this world. It would be a pity to damage yours."

Which GL was your favorite? Hal? John Stewart? Raynor? Be aware that your answer will probably date you I'm in the Guy Gardner camp myself.

Heinlein: I actually liked Starship Troopers quite a bit. The movie is also, of course, an amazing cult classic.

Funny you mention Orson Scott Card. I'm actually in the process of doing a reread of his Ender stuff right now. Just finished Xenocide the other night and am about to get started on Children of the Mind. I feel that while the later books hold up ok, Ender's Game is still far and beyond the best one. I don't know, maybe it's because I read Ender's Game when I was still not too far removed from Ender's age, but that book always sticks with me. I always find it interesting how empathetic Card's writing can seem to be given his vocal political views in the real world (ie, his writings on homosexuality).

Piers Anthony: Also another writer from my younger formative years - read a lot of Xanth growing up, but I think his Incarnations of Immortality books were my favorites. The Apprentice Adept stuff was also really fun and neat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by theCFE View Post
So, jbravo, you got it in one, and what a lovely job the artist did on her.

S I N - I'm a fan of Anthony from my teenage years; Xanth is delightfully punny, but I think my favorite series of his is his Mode series, although it would appear I missed the conclusion. I suffer from literary ADD. I'm currently reading The Name of the Wind by Rothfuss, and I'm deeply, passionately in love with it. It may supplant my previous favorite (The Belgariad by Eddings).

BNI - I do not think that word means what you think it means...

jbravo - that doesn't count as a spoiler; that's the plot of every IM movie.
Hah yeah, the Last Unicorn is one of my favorite movies - the music and art are just so nostalgic of animated movies of that time.

The Name of the Wind is very good. A Wise Man's Fear was also very good, so I recommend it when you're done with that one.

The Belgariad was great, but I started Edding's works with The Elenium, so that will always be #1 for me. I do love Edding's writings and seeing how they still influence how modern fantasy is written today.

============================== ==============

You people want more IM3 spoilers?

Ok...

There's a dudeand his name is the Mandarin. He may or may not have a love for oranges or possibly has the yellow fever.

The Mandarin may be doing some bad things.

Tony has some dramarama with his movie love interest.

Stan Lee shows up briefly.

Tony makes some snappy remarks.

There are also some gunshots and repulsor blasts fired in addition to the previously mentioned explosions.
Old 05-03-2013, 12:33 PM   #164
jbravo_123
Verified Member

Also, it looks like ninjas are winning the war...

http://news.yahoo.com/no-hijacking-somali-pirates-nearly-021352909.html

Fuck yeah, ninjas!
Old 05-03-2013, 05:42 PM   #165
spice-is-nice
Lifetime Premium Access

Encounters: 28
Default Buckaroo Banzai

And there is the incredibly under-appreciated classic The Adventures of Buckaroo Banzai Across the 8th Dimension.

It, of course, typecast and severely limited the careers of John Lithgow, Ellen Barkin, Christopher Lloyd, Jeff Goldblum, and Yakov Smirnoff, amongst others.

I first knew one of my favorite lines from this film, "Remember, no matter where you go, there you are."

Apparently there is a very similar line in the sayings of both Buddha and Confucius, and several other sources LOL.
spice-is-nice is offline   Quote

AMPReviews.net
Find Ladies
Hot Women