Welcome to ECCIE, become a part of the fastest growing adult community. Take a minute & sign up!

Welcome to ECCIE - Sign up today!

Become a part of one of the fastest growing adult communities online. We have something for you, whether you’re a male member seeking out new friends or a new lady on the scene looking to take advantage of our many opportunities to network, make new friends, or connect with people. Join today & take part in lively discussions, take advantage of all the great features that attract hundreds of new daily members!

Go Premium

Go Back   ECCIE Worldwide > General Interest > Technical Questions
Technical Questions Even the most computer-savvy may have technical questions regarding navigation of the site. Ask it here! If you have an answer, be our guest! (For further assistance, contact your local moderator or see the "Emails to the Staff" post in the Questions for the Staff city forums)

Most Favorited Images
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
Most Liked Images
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
Top Reviewers
cockalatte 645
MoneyManMatt 490
Still Looking 399
samcruz 398
Jon Bon 385
Harley Diablo 373
honest_abe 362
DFW_Ladies_Man 313
Chung Tran 288
lupegarland 287
nicemusic 285
You&Me 281
Starscream66 266
George Spelvin 253
sharkman29 253
Top Posters
DallasRain70471
biomed161009
Yssup Rider60189
gman4453033
LexusLover51038
WTF48267
offshoredrilling47759
pyramider46370
bambino40444
CryptKicker37105
Mokoa36487
Chung Tran36100
Still Looking35944
The_Waco_Kid35624
Mojojo33117

Old 03-13-2014, 11:56 AM   #1
Luvgcz
Valued Poster

Default Install from 3.5" portable drive & an old hard drive

Can I install a program on an XP computer using a portable floppy drive or does it have to be installed from the internal cd drive? There is no install cd for this program.

Also, can I take the old hard drive out a computer that is no longer in use and put it in a portable drive enclosure and boot the new computer from that drive?

Thanks
Luvgcz is offline   Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 12:30 PM   #2
LNK
Valued Poster

Encounters: 28

Possibly yes, and maybe.

The first depends on the software. Was it meant to be run on a Windows PC?

The second can be a little trickier. Is the machine the drive came out of and the machine you're trying to boot it on similar? Big hardware differences can cause problems.

Is it necessary to boot the OS on the drive? Can you not just hook it up as an external drive and extract the data you need? Or are you trying to run an old software from a dead machine?

A bit more info is in order.
LNK is offline   Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 12:42 PM   #3
Luvgcz
Valued Poster

Default Both the old and new

computer are running XP. I'm trying to run several programs on the dead machine.
Luvgcz is offline   Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 05:09 AM   #4
jframe2
Valued Poster

Not exactly on point, but ------

Software programs that do not install on a C drive are called "non-installs or portable" applications. A search for with these terms will yield a huge number for use in any type of situation; word processing, browsers, graphics, video/audio players, etc.

I use quite a few portable apps in my every day use, as it helps keeps my c drive clean.

As to the 2nd part,- Why do you say the computer is dead? If you can get to the StartUp or Boot Menu, it is not dead, but something needs to be corrected.

If you are trying to extract data off the internal hard-drive, take it to a shop and pay the $100.00 to transfer it to an external hard drive.

If you want to try it yourself, get the correct enclosure, put the internal- HD into it and plug it into a different computer. The new computer will read it or not. Most computers within the last 3-5 years should see the new external drive and see it. Again assuming there is nothing wrong with the internal HDD to begin with.

And as must be said, SAVE and Duplicate your data often.

Good luck
jframe2 is offline   Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 01:05 PM   #5
LNK
Valued Poster

Encounters: 28

I think what is going on is that he has an old application, and the data it's created, on a HD. The PC died, MB, PS, whatever. HD still works.

What he needs is to run the old app again, so he can extract the data.

If he can be more specific, we may be able to help more. Like really specific, and lots more information.
LNK is offline   Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 07:00 AM   #6
RochBob
Valued Poster

Encounters: 31

I agree with LNK more info is needed. As for the Floppy drive install question (I assume that he is talking about a USB Floppy drive as manufacturers stopped putting them in PC's about 5 Years ago now). Its going to depend upon the Software you are attempting to install. Some older programs because of the way they were written simply won't run on a newer system (i.e. I have several Game programs that were written for Windows 95/98 that won't install on my Windows XP Desktop or Windows 7 Laptop). But you won't know that for sure until you try installing it.

As far as putting the old (I am assuming working drive) in a USB enclosure and booting a computer from it. It is possible. But I would not recommend it. Again, not knowing the full details here. I don't know if the OS on the drive would have the updated hardware drivers (at least the "Generic" ones) to allow the machine to fully boot and allow the installation of the correct drivers. But again this is a "you won't know until you try it" situation. I deal mostly with Dell and Lenovo Commercial systems so the following may not apply to a Home system. But if you press the F12 Key during boot up. You should get the "Boot Options" screen and assuming that its turned on in the BIOS. One of them should say something like USB External Drive or USB Device.
RochBob is offline   Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 08:31 PM   #7
Nastya
Pending Age Verification

User ID: 217263
My ECCIE Reviews

Im also available for outcall computer repair..
Nastya is offline   Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 05:00 AM   #8
Mr. GPop
Account Disabled

Encounters: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luvgcz View Post
Can I install a program on an XP computer using a portable floppy drive or does it have to be installed from the internal cd drive? There is no install cd for this program.

Also, can I take the old hard drive out a computer that is no longer in use and put it in a portable drive enclosure and boot the new computer from that drive?

Thanks
to your 1st question = Yes

To your 2nd question = NO usb thumb drives can be made bootable but a spinner drive in a usb enclosure won't do it.

what it sounds like you want to do is to boot off different OS's.... it is possible but I will have to chime in later.. research that topic in the meantime
Mr. GPop is offline   Quote

AMPReviews.net
Find Ladies
Hot Women