Welcome to ECCIE, become a part of the fastest growing adult community. Take a minute & sign up!

Welcome to ECCIE - Sign up today!

Become a part of one of the fastest growing adult communities online. We have something for you, whether you’re a male member seeking out new friends or a new lady on the scene looking to take advantage of our many opportunities to network, make new friends, or connect with people. Join today & take part in lively discussions, take advantage of all the great features that attract hundreds of new daily members!

Go Premium

Go Back   ECCIE Worldwide > Texas > Austin > The Sandbox - Austin
The Sandbox - Austin The Sandbox is a collection of off-topic discussions. Humorous threads, Sports talk, and a wide variety of other topics can be found here. If it's NOT an adult-themed topic, then it belongs here

Most Favorited Images
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
Most Liked Images
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
Top Reviewers
cockalatte 645
MoneyManMatt 490
Still Looking 399
samcruz 398
Jon Bon 385
Harley Diablo 373
honest_abe 362
DFW_Ladies_Man 313
Chung Tran 288
lupegarland 287
nicemusic 285
You&Me 281
Starscream66 266
sharkman29 253
George Spelvin 250
Top Posters
DallasRain70460
biomed160923
Yssup Rider60189
gman4453003
LexusLover51038
WTF48267
offshoredrilling47719
pyramider46370
bambino40433
CryptKicker37105
Mokoa36487
Chung Tran36100
Still Looking35944
The_Waco_Kid35624
Mojojo33117

Old 10-03-2011, 07:19 AM   #1
ElisabethWhispers
Female

User ID: 863
My Bio Page
My ECCIE Reviews
Default Are the bats still out?

It's getting to be a pretty good bet that I'm going to be in Austin at the end of the week for work and to visit some old friends. I'd like to, once again, see the bats.

Are the bats still under that bridge? Or have they flown somewhere else for the fall season? I didn't know if there was a time frame to see them or not.

Thanks for your help!

Sincerely,
Elisabeth
ElisabethWhispers is offline   Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 01:44 PM   #2
SpeedRacerXXX
Valued Poster

Encounters: 1

Not sure but. . . .

Call the Bat Hotline at 416-5700 ext. 3636 for times.
SpeedRacerXXX is offline   Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 06:04 PM   #3
pyramider
El Hombre de la Mancha

Encounters: 10

Someone better call get the Batmobile ready.
pyramider is offline   Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 06:10 PM   #4
ElisabethWhispers
Female

My Bio Page
My ECCIE Reviews

http://www.sadtrombone.com

Note: I really was interested in knowing about the bats. I thought that after a hard summer, they might be gone.
Old 10-03-2011, 07:12 PM   #5
Guest092815
Account Disabled

User ID: 2742
My ECCIE Reviews

The bats now reside under the bridge in round rock. is it near 79 or 620? Someone correct me, pls.

There are more bats there now than in Austin.
Guest092815 is offline   Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 08:50 PM   #6
NipLover
Valued Poster

Encounters: 8

Crystal Kitty is correct. There are more bats under the IH35 bridge over McNeil Rd than downtown under the Ann Richards Congress Ave. Bridge. But that doesn't mean you won't see them there. There are still a lot of them. They will be around until at least November. Then it's off to Mexico. (They are, afterall, Mexican Freetail bats.)
The McNeil bridge has a lot less traffic near it. There is a store or crafts shop on the NE corner you can park in. Decent place to watch.
The bats were coming out very early, before dusk, when the heat was on. Lately they have been coming out right about dusk. I saw them fly last week, downtown.
NipLover is offline   Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 09:22 PM   #7
ElisabethWhispers
Female

My Bio Page
My ECCIE Reviews

Crystal & NipLover,

Thanks for the information. This is a VERY short trip but I haven't seen the bats in over twenty years and really want to see them again.

I probably will be in Georgetown on Friday night with a relative and that might be a fun thing to do!

Again, thanks!

Sincerely,
Elisabeth
Old 10-03-2011, 11:15 PM   #8
NipLover
Valued Poster

Encounters: 8

Sitting in a parking lot with a cooler of libations and a friend or relative is a nice way to spend an evening. You may have to wait a bit to see them. Still a good way to pass the time.
NipLover is offline   Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 12:11 AM   #9
GneissGuy
Thank God it's Firday!

Encounters: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by NipLover View Post
Crystal Kitty is correct. There are more bats under the IH35 bridge over McNeil Rd than downtown under the Ann Richards Congress Ave. Bridge. But that doesn't mean you won't see them there. There are still a lot of them. They will be around until at least November. Then it's off to Mexico. (They are, afterall, Mexican Freetail bats.)
The McNeil bridge has a lot less traffic near it. There is a store or crafts shop on the NE corner you can park in. Decent place to watch.
The bats were coming out very early, before dusk, when the heat was on. Lately they have been coming out right about dusk. I saw them fly last week, downtown.
The bats fly out of there heading to the east. They mostly come out on the south end of the bridge. The store is a NAPA auto parts store. You can park at the auto parts store, and then walk down to the south end of the bridge. It's best to stay outside the NB frontage road to watch. Expect the ammonia stench of bat droppings.

There are actually bats there year round, but fewer in the winter.

Don't do anything stupid like stand on the railroad track or wander into the frontage road, or touch any grounded bats. (It sounds stupid, but people do it, and be especially careful with kids who might be distracted by the bats.)

The last time I saw them, they were about a half hour before sundown, but I don't know how consistent this is. Flight time might vary with the moon phase, temperature, etc.

I don't know how the number of bats at that bridge compares to Congress avenue.

There are also bat colonies at the Mays Street bridge over the railroad track in Round Rock, and under the northmost bridge over Lamar at 183. There's also a colony at Kyle on I-35 over Bunton Branch sort of behind the Lowe's store.
GneissGuy is offline   Quote

AMPReviews.net
Find Ladies
Hot Women