Welcome to ECCIE, become a part of the fastest growing adult community. Take a minute & sign up!

Welcome to ECCIE - Sign up today!

Become a part of one of the fastest growing adult communities online. We have something for you, whether you’re a male member seeking out new friends or a new lady on the scene looking to take advantage of our many opportunities to network, make new friends, or connect with people. Join today & take part in lively discussions, take advantage of all the great features that attract hundreds of new daily members!

Go Premium

Go Back   ECCIE Worldwide > General Interest > Diamonds and Tuxedos
Diamonds and Tuxedos Glamour, elegance, and sophistication. That's what it's all about here in ECCIE's newest forum which caters to those with expensive tastes, lavish lifestyles, and an appetite for upscale entertainment.

Most Favorited Images
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
Most Liked Images
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
Top Reviewers
cockalatte 645
MoneyManMatt 490
Still Looking 399
samcruz 398
Jon Bon 385
Harley Diablo 373
honest_abe 362
DFW_Ladies_Man 313
Chung Tran 288
lupegarland 287
nicemusic 285
You&Me 281
Starscream66 265
sharkman29 252
George Spelvin 248
Top Posters
DallasRain70429
biomed160678
Yssup Rider59989
gman4452940
LexusLover51038
WTF48267
offshoredrilling47598
pyramider46370
bambino40335
CryptKicker37087
Mokoa36487
Chung Tran36100
Still Looking35944
The_Waco_Kid35420
Mojojo33117

Old 04-22-2013, 02:35 AM   #1
NinaBrooke
Account Disabled

User ID: 59709
Default The Tangle of the Sexes - Neurosexism

Hello!

I found a very interesting - for me - article in the New York Times. I personally never believed or supported the notion that men and women are so different psychologically or within behaviour. From what I learned all the brain scans are showing no significant difference and is overrated in popular culture . It much rather fuels the so called "battle of the sexes" and makes consensus almost impossible. (Or some therapists rich by trying to promote patterns of behaviour that are supposed to work ..)

Any thoughts?

MEN and women are so different they might as well be from separate planets, so says the theory of the sexes famously explicated in John Gray’s 1992 best seller, “Men Are From Mars, Women Are From Venus.”

Indeed, sex differences are a perennially popular topic in behavioral science; since 2000, scientific journals have published more than 30,000 articles on them.

That men and women differ in certain respects is unassailable. Unfortunately, the continuing belief in “categorical differences” — men are aggressive, women are caring — reinforces traditional stereotypes by treating certain behaviors as immutable. And, it turns out, this belief is based on a scientifically indefensible model of human behavior.

As the psychologist Cordelia Fine explains in her book “Delusions of Gender,” the influence of one kind of categorical thinking, neurosexism — justifying differential treatment by citing differences in neural anatomy or function — spills over to educational and employment disparities, family relations and arguments about same-sex institutions.

The Mars/Venus view describes a world that does not exist, at least here on earth. Our work shows that sex does not define qualitatively distinct categories of psychological characteristics. We need to look at individuals as individuals.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/04/21/op...=fb-share&_r=0
NinaBrooke is offline   Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 03:20 AM   #2
Guest121613
Account Disabled

Encounters: 24

More fun facts.

John Gray was once married to Barbara DeAngelos. Both divorced each other. Both made an incredible amount of money writing books and self help seminars how how make relationships work.

I agree that neurologically, there are not many, if any differences between female and male brains that would impact behavior. I think behavior differences are more of a result chemical (hormonal) balances and cultural influences which then drive gender behavior.

Woman are estrogenic and men are testerical (I just made that up LOL)
Guest121613 is offline   Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 05:17 AM   #3
NinaBrooke
Account Disabled

User ID: 59709

Quote:
Originally Posted by lostforkate View Post
More fun facts.

John Gray was once married to Barbara DeAngelos. Both divorced each other. Both made an incredible amount of money writing books and self help seminars how how make relationships work.

I agree that neurologically, there are not many, if any differences between female and male brains that would impact behavior. I think behavior differences are more of a result chemical (hormonal) balances and cultural influences which then drive gender behavior.

Woman are estrogenic and men are testerical (I just made that up LOL)
Well, the neurosexism suggests simple solutions for complex problems. Plus, on the other hand it makes it easy to find excuses for not taking responsibility. (oh men do that, oh she is a woman). And labeling people as belonging to a biological group much rather than a social group (the latter can be influenced). Also, for centuries, there was the - sociocultural - widespread notion that men are superior to women, and women did not have access to science, let alone help conduct or shape science. This might make also some difference in the last century, where feminism, queer theories, and female researchers also adress different agendas.

Plus, there is the notion that men and women are not always so easy to distinct, since there are many "genderbenders" even within hormones or biology. This opens up to the transgender debatte.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Delusions_of_Gender

"In the first part of the book, "'Half Changed World', Half Changed Minds", Fine argues that social and environmental factors strongly influence the mind, making many conclusions about innate gender differences dubious. She also discusses the history and impact of gender stereotypes and the ways that science has been used to justify sexism. The second part of the book, "Neurosexism," Fine criticizes the current available arguments and studies supporting sex differences in the mind in order to debunk them, focusing on methodological errors and logical gaps. In the third part of the book, "Recycling Gender," she argues that the use of faulty science to justify gender stereotypes can negatively impact future generations."
NinaBrooke is offline   Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 07:22 PM   #4
Guest121613
Account Disabled

Encounters: 24

Well, I don't think I answered ur question right? Not to make an excuse of being a male, I simply low on the emotional IQ scale.... just kidding. ;-)

It would be a good study to know if gender benders "masculine woman" are low on estrogen, high on male hormones, or simply have an envy for men, or some other reason. Or gender bender in the other direction, feminine men.

Phsychology, no matter how fun it can be to study, but is a social science, and the answers are frequently overdetermined. But I fully agree there is sexism, whether neuro, or otherwise, can skew research and lead public perception away from the facts.
Guest121613 is offline   Quote

AMPReviews.net
Find Ladies
Hot Women