Welcome to ECCIE, become a part of the fastest growing adult community. Take a minute & sign up!

Welcome to ECCIE - Sign up today!

Become a part of one of the fastest growing adult communities online. We have something for you, whether you’re a male member seeking out new friends or a new lady on the scene looking to take advantage of our many opportunities to network, make new friends, or connect with people. Join today & take part in lively discussions, take advantage of all the great features that attract hundreds of new daily members!

Go Premium

Go Back   ECCIE Worldwide > General Interest > Technical Questions
Technical Questions Even the most computer-savvy may have technical questions regarding navigation of the site. Ask it here! If you have an answer, be our guest! (For further assistance, contact your local moderator or see the "Emails to the Staff" post in the Questions for the Staff city forums)

Most Favorited Images
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
Most Liked Images
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
Top Reviewers
cockalatte 645
MoneyManMatt 490
Still Looking 399
samcruz 398
Jon Bon 385
Harley Diablo 373
honest_abe 362
DFW_Ladies_Man 313
Chung Tran 288
lupegarland 287
nicemusic 285
You&Me 281
Starscream66 265
sharkman29 254
George Spelvin 248
Top Posters
DallasRain70437
biomed160705
Yssup Rider60032
gman4452944
LexusLover51038
WTF48267
offshoredrilling47616
pyramider46370
bambino40340
CryptKicker37092
Mokoa36487
Chung Tran36100
Still Looking35944
The_Waco_Kid35446
Mojojo33117

Old 03-15-2014, 09:49 AM   #1
Fancyinheels
Retired Irish Tart

User ID: 3552
Location: Secluded in the deep, dark, spooky woods at the Irish Chihuahua Refuge.
My Bio Page
My ECCIE Reviews
Default Here's a tech question I bet nobody has ever asked.

Was making some substantial edits to my Showcase, the biography section, and I added the following Gaelic phrase at the end of the write-up:

Go raibh maith agat as seo a léamh, agus tá an lá iontach!

After saving it, I found that the system had completely wiped my biography section! I almost had heart failure, but was able to press the back button to return to the original material. Thought I had done something wrong. Redid all my work, COPIED it this time, saved again, and the same thing! Totally blank bio.

Commenced some trial and error, and finally realized that the Gaelic was throwing off the system. No matter where I positioned that phrase among the paragraphs, I ended up with a blank bio. Removed the Gaelic, and my bio saved just fine.

WHY?

Btw, the phrase means, "Thanks for reading this, and have a great day!" Wasn't cussing anybody out in an unknown tongue. Pretty sure I've seen Spanish in biographies, so why not Gaelic? What difference would it make?
Fancyinheels is offline   Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 06:44 PM   #2
gman44

Encounters: 203

I really don't know why that would happen except for the reason you mentioned

the system doesn't accept gaelic
gman44 is offline   Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 07:33 PM   #3
1Curiousguy
Lifetime Premium Access

Encounters: 16
Default Did you try quotes?

Fancy dear, did you try putting the offending phrase in quotes to see if the system would accept it that way?

I don't know why I thought of that, but I just wondered if you had tried it.
1Curiousguy is offline   Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 10:54 PM   #4
RafaelH
Valued Poster

Encounters: 9

The system may be reading those accented A's as some sort of special character that results in erasing your bio. If the quote suggestion doesn't work, put the phrase in a picture file, save it as a jpg as put that in your bio.

Hope this helps, and I'm watching for an excuse to get back to Houston...
RafaelH is offline   Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 09:46 AM   #5
TRIN
Valued Poster

Encounters: 59

Fancy, if you can't post it in text, see if you can add it as a picture. Type the words, control print screen, paste in MS Paint. Maybe you can paste it in, maybe upload as a picture.
TRIN is offline   Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 08:51 PM   #6
chicagoboy
Ribbed, For Her Pleasure

I doubt the Gaelic is the problem. Pyramider uses obscure languages in his signature all the time, and I've seen signatures with non-Roman characters, too.
chicagoboy is offline   Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 04:23 PM   #7
Fancyinheels
Retired Irish Tart

Location: Secluded in the deep, dark, spooky woods at the Irish Chihuahua Refuge.
My Bio Page
My ECCIE Reviews

Will try the quotes and let you know. I could post the photo in my gallery, but don't think the bio section will allow graphics. I'll see. Thanks for the suggestions!
Old 03-29-2014, 08:53 AM   #8
goodtimes
Gaining Momentum

Encounters: 1

Stand back, folks, I'm about to go full nerd on you here.

The really strange part of this is that you were able to post the text here, but not in the showcase. Even stranger is that if you right click on this page, select view source, and ctrl+f to find "Go raibh maith", the html has the actual accented characters in it. And both pages contain

<meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=ISO-8859-1" />

which means they use the same character set.

Usually, for special characters with accents that aren't in the character sets code page, you have to use special representations for accented chars. Depending on how well the site filters embedded html data, you may be able to use the codes in the page below to get the accents. It might also be worth checking if a different browser still shows the page empty as they might handle the characters differently.

http://symbolcodes.tlt.psu.edu/web/codehtml.html

If you still want to know why it doesn't work, add the text into your showcase and save it again, then (if using google chrome) open the menu and go to tools > view source and see whats different from this page and that one. I would say attach it to this post, but i don't think you can do attachments here.
goodtimes is offline   Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 07:48 PM   #9
Mr. GPop
Account Disabled

Encounters: 10

just offhand it looks like you spoke the words of a great elder and what you spoke was a some curse or something... Cthlulu might appear later in your life
Mr. GPop is offline   Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 07:54 PM   #10
Fancyinheels
Retired Irish Tart

My Bio Page
My ECCIE Reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. GPop View Post
just offhand it looks like you spoke the words of a great elder and what you spoke was a some curse or something... Cthulhu might appear later in your life
I think I dated him in a past life, already. It was a weird tale.

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodtimes View Post
Stand back, folks, I'm about to go full nerd on you here.

The really strange part of this is that you were able to post the text here, but not in the showcase. Even stranger is that if you right click on this page, select view source, and ctrl+f to find "Go raibh maith", the html has the actual accented characters in it. And both pages contain

<meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=ISO-8859-1" />

which means they use the same character set.

Usually, for special characters with accents that aren't in the character sets code page, you have to use special representations for accented chars. Depending on how well the site filters embedded html data, you may be able to use the codes in the page below to get the accents. It might also be worth checking if a different browser still shows the page empty as they might handle the characters differently.

http://symbolcodes.tlt.psu.edu/web/codehtml.html

If you still want to know why it doesn't work, add the text into your showcase and save it again, then (if using google chrome) open the menu and go to tools > view source and see whats different from this page and that one. I would say attach it to this post, but i don't think you can do attachments here.

Ye Gods, after I decipher this I'll try it, as nothing else has worked. I use Mozilla Firefox, however.
Old 04-04-2014, 01:13 PM   #11
Luv4Fun
Valued Poster

Encounters: 6
Default I'll bet you...

trying to one up the full-tilt geek...

I'll bet it's the backend engine rendering the showcase - given the error was so easy to back out (and not recreate your bio) it doesn't sound like it actually destroy the content. So if you are really bored, try repeating the same string, but start with just one character, save, view, then add the next character, save, view... You'll likely hit something that blows it up. Now, back out and use only that character. Still blows it up, tell us. If that doesn't work, try the last two characters entered as perhaps you've found some character combination that the rendering engine can't/won't parse.

Either way, once we know the character or characters that break the engine, we can figure out a cool way around it.

Finally, the rendering engine is doing formatting (justification/indentation at a minimum) it may literally be a case of adding or removing a single character to make it a smidge shorter or longer.

This is clearly REALLY important stuff we're solving for here!
Luv4Fun is offline   Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 09:54 PM   #12
goodtimes
Gaining Momentum

Encounters: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luv4Fun View Post
This is clearly REALLY important stuff we're solving for here!
If you're like me, you see something like this and you feel compelled to troubleshoot it

and I already met Cathulu, in the form of a plushy in my office (Whos a bad little Cathulu? You are, yes you are <*nose boink*>)
goodtimes is offline   Quote

AMPReviews.net
Find Ladies
Hot Women