Welcome to ECCIE, become a part of the fastest growing adult community. Take a minute & sign up!

Welcome to ECCIE - Sign up today!

Become a part of one of the fastest growing adult communities online. We have something for you, whether you’re a male member seeking out new friends or a new lady on the scene looking to take advantage of our many opportunities to network, make new friends, or connect with people. Join today & take part in lively discussions, take advantage of all the great features that attract hundreds of new daily members!

Go Premium

Go Back   ECCIE Worldwide > Texas > Dallas > The Sandbox - Dallas
The Sandbox - Dallas The Sandbox is a collection of off-topic discussions. Humorous threads, Sports talk, and a wide variety of other topics can be found here. If it's NOT an adult-themed topic, then it belongs here

Most Favorited Images
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
Most Liked Images
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
Top Reviewers
cockalatte 645
MoneyManMatt 490
Still Looking 399
samcruz 398
Jon Bon 385
Harley Diablo 373
honest_abe 362
DFW_Ladies_Man 313
Chung Tran 288
lupegarland 287
nicemusic 285
You&Me 281
Starscream66 264
sharkman29 252
George Spelvin 248
Top Posters
DallasRain70426
biomed160651
Yssup Rider59982
gman4452939
LexusLover51038
WTF48267
offshoredrilling47591
pyramider46370
bambino40333
CryptKicker37085
Mokoa36487
Chung Tran36100
Still Looking35944
The_Waco_Kid35417
Mojojo33117

Old 07-28-2017, 06:22 AM   #1
TheWanderer
Valued Poster

Encounters: 25
Default Why Do Dentists Commit Suicide at Such A High Rate?

My childhood dentist snuffed himself a few years back. I never liked him as a dentist. I honestly feel that he filled my back molars and those of my siblings with a lot of unnecessary fillings. He was an alcoholic also.I also recently heard of another dentist that I knew that offed himself.
Reading about it, they tend to commit suicide at 2.5 times the rate of other professions.

The articles tend to say it's because of the "pressures" of the job. I say bullshit.

So truck-drivers and heavy crane operators and accountants and car salesmen, etc., have it made but poor dentists just live under too much pressure?

Just curious what your opinions are.
TheWanderer is offline   Quote
Old 07-28-2017, 06:44 AM   #2
rexdutchman
Valued Poster

Encounters: 22

may be its because everyone "hates" going to the dentists , I don't see it as a high pressure job
rexdutchman is offline   Quote
Old 07-28-2017, 07:32 AM   #3
Chung Tran
BANNED

Encounters: 288

cool question, we don't have enough threads that make one think on this Forum.

I don't know, but like you, I know a Dentist who killed himself when I was young.
Chung Tran is offline   Quote
Old 07-28-2017, 08:29 AM   #4
grean
Valued Poster

Encounters: 19

Do eye doctors have a similar rate?

I ask because like eye doctors, when someone yells for a doctor and the dentist says, "I'm a doctor" and someone follows up with, "what kind" and he then says, "I'm a dentist", he is told "No, we need a real doctor."

Just a theory.

If someone is told often that they aren't real, it could get to them.
grean is offline   Quote
Old 07-28-2017, 08:33 AM   #5
grean
Valued Poster

Encounters: 19

That being said Dentists make bank.
grean is offline   Quote
Old 07-28-2017, 10:27 AM   #6
Ronin3
Premium Access

Encounters: 123

Quote:
Originally Posted by rexdutchman View Post
may be its because everyone "hates" going to the dentists , I don't see it as a high pressure job
A variation of occum's razor in that the first answer on ECCIE is usually the correct one. Nailed it!
Ronin3 is offline   Quote
Old 07-28-2017, 03:59 PM   #7
Vivienne Rey
Upgraded Female Account

User ID: 23639
My Bio Page
My ECCIE Reviews

People hate going to the dentist. They're often in pain, anxious and afraid. It's a downer.

Patients often can't afford treatment. Imagine telling people you can't help them because they can't afford it. Those patients don't often handle it well.

Student loans. Business loans.

More access to drugs that can help them end it, perhaps?
Vivienne Rey is offline   Quote
Old 07-28-2017, 04:39 PM   #8
2short@desky
Valued Poster

Encounters: 11

Back there some years I had read that dentists as a whole had the shortest life expectancy of virtually any professional. I was somewhat surprised. It's really not all it's cranked up to be...a lot of government and professional interference, constant continuing education and certifications, patients that are very rarely happy but bitch almost immediately while not following any prescribed regimens. Nothing hurts worse than a bad tooth nerve, and they get blamed for that. Then there's the occasional anaphylactic reaction they get very little interventional practice for. Plus, all the shitty mouths that talk forever, and the confined work area within...we used to have a saying when I was on nurse staff in ICUs, give me two really sick vented patients on multiple drips and let me apply my expertise. Give the walkie-talkie patients to someone who needs the go-fer practice. Talking patients were more difficult than the really sick ones. I can't imagine what a dentist has to listen to.
2short@desky is offline   Quote
Old 07-28-2017, 04:48 PM   #9
Tsmokies
BANNED

Encounters: 9

Raise your children well and they will never hate going to the dentist for their routine cleaning n checkup. EXCEPT....when I told my daughter who was home on Christmas break ..maybe you shouldn't go out tonight (Thursday college night everywhere) you have a dentist appt tomorrow. She said ok dad I will be ok....then I said, you are having your wisdom teeth removed.

She had heard all the horror stories but she was ok :-)
Tsmokies is offline   Quote
Old 07-28-2017, 08:33 PM   #10
darkwader
darkwader

Encounters: 5

isnt dentist just a guy that failed medical school? that shame must be hard to overcome and have long range consequences.
darkwader is offline   Quote
Old 07-29-2017, 12:06 AM   #11
Guest070818-1
Account Disabled

User ID: 118353
My ECCIE Reviews

I've only been to a dentist two times in my life and both times were for a cleaning. Thank Goddess for straight and even pearly whites!

Nonetheless, I can somewhat believe that dentists are more prone to suicide - All the drugs and medications are certainly there.

Heck, one of my former clients was a dentist and used to get high off of laughing gas. I hope he's alive and well.
Guest070818-1 is offline   Quote
Old 07-29-2017, 08:40 PM   #12
2short@desky
Valued Poster

Encounters: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkwader View Post
isnt dentist just a guy that failed medical school? that shame must be hard to overcome and have long range consequences.
Oh man! So untrue!
2short@desky is offline   Quote
Old 07-29-2017, 09:03 PM   #13
Iaintliein
Valued Poster

Encounters: 2

Dentistry requires an exceptional academic level of achievement. so, you have exceptionally bright people who work hard for many years then end up in a job that very likely gets boring very quickly.

The realization that, "this is all there is," can be tough on some, especially if the monetary rewards aren't good enough to pay off a but load of student debt and live a good life.

A dentist once told me about the suicide of one of his teachers. He lay in a hot bath tube, injected himself with Novocain, dissected out both of his femoral arteries, clamped them, cut them, and then released the clamps. Probably bled out in five or six seconds.

That's what happens when someone needs to be challenged in life but isn't.

Very sad.
Iaintliein is offline   Quote
Old 07-29-2017, 09:41 PM   #14
Roy Wally
Account Disabled

Encounters: 12

Some dentists have a hard time making a good impression.
Roy Wally is offline   Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 02:02 PM   #15
Prolongus
Sanity Check...

Encounters: 119

Dentists sure aren't portrayed very well in the movies:
"Paging doctor faggot!" - The Hangover
Steve Martin as the sadistic dentist in "Little Shop of Horrors".
Jennifer Anniston as a nympho dentist in "Horrible Bosses". Actually, we need more nympho dentists like her, FUCK YAAAAA!
Prolongus is offline   Quote

AMPReviews.net
Find Ladies
Hot Women