Welcome to ECCIE, become a part of the fastest growing adult community. Take a minute & sign up!

Welcome to ECCIE - Sign up today!

Become a part of one of the fastest growing adult communities online. We have something for you, whether you’re a male member seeking out new friends or a new lady on the scene looking to take advantage of our many opportunities to network, make new friends, or connect with people. Join today & take part in lively discussions, take advantage of all the great features that attract hundreds of new daily members!

Go Premium

Go Back   ECCIE Worldwide > General Interest > Security Matters
Security Matters Personal security is of the utmost priority. Discussions regarding every aspect of personal security within the hobby can be found here.

Most Favorited Images
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
Most Liked Images
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
Top Reviewers
cockalatte 645
MoneyManMatt 490
Still Looking 399
samcruz 398
Jon Bon 385
Harley Diablo 370
honest_abe 362
DFW_Ladies_Man 313
Chung Tran 288
lupegarland 287
nicemusic 285
You&Me 281
Starscream66 262
sharkman29 250
George Spelvin 244
Top Posters
DallasRain70386
biomed160320
Yssup Rider59854
gman4452869
LexusLover51038
WTF48267
offshoredrilling47438
pyramider46370
bambino40288
CryptKicker37064
Mokoa36485
Chung Tran36100
Still Looking35944
The_Waco_Kid35178
Mojojo33117

Old 03-15-2014, 07:03 AM   #1
The Drummer
Valued Poster

Encounters: 3
Default Windows XP End of Life

We’re all aware of the fact that Windows XP “end of life” is arriving soon in mid April. I have a computer over ten years old that was given to me, and I don’t really want to sink money into it or put up with the aggravation of reformatting and installing another OP, let’s say Window 7, then having to go through re-installation of programs, such as anti-virus, etc. This “relic” works fine as is. I don’t want to spend the money on a new computer. I’m not a gamer, per se, and I don’t need a ton of horse power.

So my question is: Should I just keep running XP after the death knell and roll the dice or should I change the operating system? I figure if I do nothing and anything catastrophic occurs, I’d have to wipe the machine anyway.

Interestingly enough, I read that the vast majority of ATM machines are still using XP and that banks are reluctant to upgrade because of the cost – a couple thousand per machine times thousands of ATMs. It seems the banks aren’t too worried. That is, if the aforementioned information is valid.

So when Windows XP becomes unsupported, how bad will it be?

I’d welcome some advice.

Thank you.
The Drummer is offline   Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 10:37 AM   #2
jframe2
Valued Poster

XP as an OS is not bad at all, it is when people starting doing things on the Web that might possibly allow viruses, etc into the computer that is going to be a problem because MS is not writing "fixes" for XP after the end date.

I, too, have several machines with XP and use one of them to act as the Master controller for the home network; safe because it is not open to the Internet.

Other uses for XP can be as a Media device for audio, video etc. A search will give you some ideas for creative uses for XP machines.
jframe2 is offline   Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 03:55 PM   #3
TXRocket
Lifetime Premium Access

Encounters: 1

No OS is totally immune to attack. If you have anti-virus and maybe anti-spyware programs that are up-to-date you are pretty safe.
TXRocket is offline   Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 12:37 AM   #4
Jdriller
Valued Poster

Encounters: 12

a good online back up of data and programs would be good. so if your computer crashes you could get another one with the windows 8 (which sucks) and the from the back up reinstall everything you had on your old computer at once. maybe with some online connection with the help people to make it go smoother. but at least you would still have all your stuff and would not have to reinstall each program one at a time
Jdriller is offline   Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 07:49 AM   #5
The Drummer
Valued Poster

Thank you to everyone who responded. I appreciate it.

TD
Old 03-17-2014, 01:44 PM   #6
Stud Daddy
Valued Poster

Encounters: 2

Drummer email me here if you have issues you need resolved.
If you are bouncing around off of Naughty Internet sites you will eventually catch an STD on your PC.
I would suggest you either back up any important data, photos, videos etc. NOW to either a Stand alone HD, a cheap Multi Gigabit Memory Stick or a separate on-board HD or HD Partition dependingon the quantity of such you need to save/backup. I'd also include phone numbers and other important data you have. Your Pal SD
Stud Daddy is offline   Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 09:04 AM   #7
Whirlaway
Account Disabled

Encounters: 28

Back up programs ???

I thought programs were proprietary (the ones I use) and there was no way to copy, duplicate or transfer them to another computer without access codes/downloads, etc.

For example, are you saying it is possible to copy Windows Professional Excel/Word to another computer without the discs?

Help ?

BTW, thanks for the info on XP being phased out !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdriller View Post
a good online back up of data and programs would be good. ......... but at least you would still have all your stuff and would not have to reinstall each program one at a time
Whirlaway is offline   Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 03:39 PM   #8
The Drummer
Valued Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whirlaway View Post
Back up programs ???

I thought programs were proprietary (the ones I use) and there was no way to copy, duplicate or transfer them to another computer without access codes/downloads, etc.

For example, are you saying it is possible to copy Windows Professional Excel/Word to another computer without the discs?

Help ?

BTW, thanks for the info on XP being phased out !
I'm by no means a computer expert, but I believe you're right about programs. They can't just be copied and then installed on another machine. Programs contain "bits and pieces" of stuff that are distributed in many different places on a computer. By simply copying; the various data segments won't know where to go.

Again, I'm no expert, so I'm not entirely sure about this. Maybe there's a way to do it?
Old 03-18-2014, 04:02 PM   #9
The Drummer
Valued Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stud Daddy View Post
Drummer email me here if you have issues you need resolved.
If you are bouncing around off of Naughty Internet sites you will eventually catch an STD on your PC.
I would suggest you either back up any important data, photos, videos etc. NOW to either a Stand alone HD, a cheap Multi Gigabit Memory Stick or a separate on-board HD or HD Partition dependingon the quantity of such you need to save/backup. I'd also include phone numbers and other important data you have. Your Pal SD
Thank you for the kind offer, Daddy.

Try to stop by the "Rat's Nest" one of these days. Me and the guys (and gals) have been wondering where you've been. But, hurry up. The joint might not be in business much longer.

TD
Old 03-20-2014, 05:11 AM   #10
Gotyour6
Valued Poster

Encounters: 24

You can clone the drive to an image and just re-image it when needed.

Look up clone-zilla

You wont have docs, pics etc but backing it up will help that.

XP will be fine without help from MS.
Gotyour6 is offline   Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 07:43 AM   #11
The Drummer
Valued Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gotyour6 View Post
You can clone the drive to an image and just re-image it when needed.

Look up clone-zilla

You wont have docs, pics etc but backing it up will help that.

XP will be fine without help from MS.
Thanks, Gy6.
Old 03-20-2014, 05:55 PM   #12
Guest070316-1
Valued Poster

Encounters: 71

For the sake of keeping up with the times, I'd go after another computer altogether. Seen e machines from best buy for like 300. Has windows 7, a decent cpu, and everything else. Probably even cheaper shopping online. Will run a heck of a lot better than xp and support for at least another 10 years more than likely. Might be worth the investment to upgrade all the hardware at once as old harware, std's/virus's or not, will crap out eventually and get worse with no support.
Guest070316-1 is offline   Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 08:12 AM   #13
Whirlaway
Account Disabled

Encounters: 28

My XP is a workhorse; hate to see it become useless just because Microsoft doesn't want to continue with supports.
Whirlaway is offline   Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 03:41 PM   #14
nyc1skibum
Valued Poster

Encounters: 36

Run the micro$oft updates on XP, add virus scan, malwarebytes, easycleaner, and carbonite. Keep on running XP and do Not believe the hype that once M$ stops supporting that you Have to change.
XP Will Not stop working nor become useless! 7 is ok to move to if you have a new PC.

If you adventurous, and want to try a new OS, download PCBSD, a FreeBSD variant that is made to be a desktop OS.
nyc1skibum is offline   Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 07:08 AM   #15
Mr. GPop
Account Disabled

Encounters: 10

before you nay say getting a new pc, most the "standard" ones out are fairly cheap but with a decent amount of horse power.... reason being is the users complained about no power on the pc to run the OS.. that has changed.

and if you feel adventurous get a Ubuntu distro of linux.... with the MATE desktop it resembles XP and all you need is Open Office and a few programs (all are free btw) to run a workstation like you had before..
Mr. GPop is offline   Quote

AMPReviews.net
Find Ladies
Hot Women