Welcome to ECCIE, become a part of the fastest growing adult community. Take a minute & sign up!

Welcome to ECCIE - Sign up today!

Become a part of one of the fastest growing adult communities online. We have something for you, whether you’re a male member seeking out new friends or a new lady on the scene looking to take advantage of our many opportunities to network, make new friends, or connect with people. Join today & take part in lively discussions, take advantage of all the great features that attract hundreds of new daily members!

Go Premium

Go Back   ECCIE Worldwide > General Interest > Technical Questions
Technical Questions Even the most computer-savvy may have technical questions regarding navigation of the site. Ask it here! If you have an answer, be our guest! (For further assistance, contact your local moderator or see the "Emails to the Staff" post in the Questions for the Staff city forums)

Most Favorited Images
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
Most Liked Images
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
Top Reviewers
cockalatte 645
MoneyManMatt 490
Still Looking 399
samcruz 398
Jon Bon 385
Harley Diablo 370
honest_abe 362
DFW_Ladies_Man 313
Chung Tran 288
lupegarland 287
nicemusic 285
You&Me 281
Starscream66 262
sharkman29 250
George Spelvin 244
Top Posters
DallasRain70385
biomed160299
Yssup Rider59854
gman4452869
LexusLover51038
WTF48267
offshoredrilling47437
pyramider46370
bambino40287
CryptKicker37064
Mokoa36485
Chung Tran36100
Still Looking35944
The_Waco_Kid35162
Mojojo33117

Old 10-29-2011, 04:53 AM   #1
carbon
Lifetime Premium Access

Encounters: 12
Default Google voice iPhone qq

I have done some searching, but still have qq.

Need a cheap/free alternative to my old hobby phone. It sounds like some have used gv with success. I would likely not install the app, but would connect to gv via web browser on the iPhone. (iPhone4, iOS5)

My questions are:

If I place a call via gv what shows up on my bill and what shows up on the recipients caller I'd?

If I receive a call, same questions.

These seem basic, but much of what I find is vague, old, or inconsistent. I need to be pretty sure before I pull the trigger on something like this.

Thanks in advance
carbon is offline   Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 06:41 AM   #2
Drlovefw
Valued Poster

Encounters: 40

I use GV the number that displays to your caller is your GV number and when you receive a call you se the calling number. You can also text for free from your computer. I use it for the hobby world.
Drlovefw is offline   Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 08:50 AM   #3
carbon
Lifetime Premium Access

Thanks. What shows up on your cell phone bill?
Old 10-29-2011, 05:04 PM   #4
Drlovefw
Valued Poster

Encounters: 40

I've never noticed the call details let me check.
Drlovefw is offline   Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 07:26 PM   #5
carbon
Lifetime Premium Access

Please do. I can't afford to not be sure about this.
Old 10-30-2011, 10:05 PM   #6
carbon
Lifetime Premium Access

Anyone?
Old 10-30-2011, 10:08 PM   #7
Guest102513
Account Disabled

Encounters: 29

Nothing shows up on your bill.. Its just using the data plan that you have. You have to setup google voice to accept the incoming calls to your google voice number within the application, same with sms.
Guest102513 is offline   Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 11:01 PM   #8
Anita Lay
BANNED

User ID: 95934
My ECCIE Reviews

Sweetie, Google voice is FREE and you choose phone number first .. there is no statement in the mail , its all done by email address that google voice is assigned to so you can view. U can assign your google number to a cell phone if you like.

Choosing your Google numberwww.google.com/.../voice/.../answer...
Google Voice lets you ...

Google Voice gives you one number for all your phones, voicemail as easy as email, free US long distance, low rates on international calls, and many calling
Anita Lay is offline   Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 01:23 AM   #9
Rezo
Valued Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Olney View Post
Nothing shows up on your bill.. Its just using the data plan that you have. You have to setup google voice to accept the incoming calls to your google voice number within the application, same with sms.
eh, hmm.. no. this is not entirely accurate.

Google Voice at present is more of a forwarding service than a pure VoIP service. So it isn't only going to consume data UNLESS the only thing you are going to be using it for is texting or if you set it up to forward incoming and outgoing voice calls with a 3rd party VoIP service/app.

This means that for most folks anything involving a voice call with GV is going to require some minutes usage depending on your phone carrier's rate plan and in turn something will be logged in your phone records for either an incoming or outgoing call.

With Google Voice you must setup one or more forwarding numbers with your GV account. Google Voice doesn't forward incoming or outgoing calls through a VoIP channel instead any incoming calls to your GV number will be forwarded to one or more of your forwarding numbers depending on how many forwarding numbers you register and the call rules you create. A forwarding number can be a U.S. landline, mobile phone, or a VoIP number.

Now the OP seems mostly concerned about what sort of call logging one might see on a phone bill or a carrier's phone records. For incoming calls Google Voice can be set to show your GV number as the caller-id or it can pass thru the caller-id of the original caller. In the first situation the only thing that will be seen on your phone and in your phone carriers records is your GV number. This makes it immediately apparent that you are receiving a call on your GV number without even having to answer the phone. In the latter situation both your phone and your phone records will show the original callers telephone number and it won't be obvious that call was to your GV number until you actually take the call.

For an outgoing call you can do one of two options. First you can call your GV number from one of your registered forwarding numbers and after Google answers, dial the actual number you want to reach. The other way is to start the call through the GV smartphone app or the GV web interface. In which case GV will call your designated forwarding number first and upon answering the phone it will then dial and connect you to the party you are trying to reach. Those that you call will only see your GV number in their caller-id and your phone carriers records will only show either an incoming or outgoing call to your GV number instead of the final true destination of the call.

When sending messages through SMS (text message), GV can be set to show either your actual forwarding number or your Google Voice number as the originating number.

At this time GV does not support MMS except through a pseudo method with Sprint customers. The MMS messages actually get converted to an e-mail and any media files are available as an attachment. GV is supposed to be supposed to be working on expanding the carriers they will do this with.

Google announced that GV is going to remain free for at least this year. This implies that it may no longer be free next year.

Finally if you want to go the pure data approach that would avoid any type of logging of a voice call it will require an application to be installed that will support some sort of VoIP (Voice over Internet Protocol) service. The voice calls will then go in or out as data traffic through 3G/4G/WiFi.

Google also has the ability to do voice and video calls through Google Talk and Gmail voice+video chat which is not quite the same animal as Google Voice. Google Talk is only for communicating with other GT users and the Gmail video+voice plug-in is for desktops/laptops. I am not aware of a mobile app for the latter.
Rezo is offline   Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 02:05 AM   #10
Anita Lay
BANNED

User ID: 95934
My ECCIE Reviews

We wasn't talking about the actual cell phone carrier.. we was talking about google voice being free. There is some way you can make phone calls without forwarding it to your cell.. you make the calls from your computer some how. someone did that the other day when they called me.
Anita Lay is offline   Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 02:12 AM   #11
Rezo
Valued Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by carbon View Post
My questions are:

If I place a call via gv what shows up on my bill and what shows up on the recipients caller I'd?
Placing an outgoing call will, depending on how you originate the call, either produce a record of an incoming call or an outgoing call to your GV number on your phone bill if your phone carrier logs such transactions. The recipient of your Google Voice call will see your GV number in their Caller-ID.

Quote:
Originally Posted by carbon View Post
If I receive a call, same questions.
If you receive a call you will either see your GV number or the original number of the caller. This is actually a setting you can customize to your preference for your Google Voice account.
Rezo is offline   Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 04:27 AM   #12
carbon
Lifetime Premium Access

Thanks, everyone for the input. I hope others find this helpful as well.
Old 10-31-2011, 09:22 AM   #13
Rezo
Valued Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anita Lay View Post
We wasn't talking about the actual cell phone carrier.. we was talking about google voice being free.
Haha ok. Sorry, I didn't realize that we was talking about google voice being free. I thought we were trying to answer the OP's questions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anita Lay View Post
There is some way you can make phone calls without forwarding it to your cell.. you make the calls from your computer some how. someone did that the other day when they called me.
If you re-read the last two paragraphs of my long post you will see what methods are currently available involving Google. But unless using a 3rd party to act as a middleman the only way to make a call through Google to PSTN without the use of a phone is by using the Gmail video+chat plug-in. However, this doesn't help someone like the OP that specifically mentioned using his iPhone. Google's Gmail chat voice plug-in is currently only available on Windows, Mac, & Linux but not mobile environments such as iOS or Android. Given Google's new found relationship with mobile carriers I don't know if they would ever offer this sort of capability in a native format anytime soon.

For something other than Google for free calls through your iPhone you might consider using Whistle Phone or magicJack.
Rezo is offline   Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 03:34 AM   #14
gaatr
Registered Member

Thanks for the info guys. I have been using GV for quite a while now and its seems like its doing what its supposed to. Good luck to all
gaatr is offline   Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 04:53 PM   #15
TexTushHog
Professional Tush Hog.

Encounters: 7

So the long and short of it is, at least as I understand it, that using Google Voice does nothing to cover your tracks when you use an iPhone, other than instead of a provider's real number, it shows a bunch of activity using your Google Voice number which you then have to explain in your deposition in your divorce case. Correct?
TexTushHog is offline   Quote

AMPReviews.net
Find Ladies
Hot Women