Welcome to ECCIE, become a part of the fastest growing adult community. Take a minute & sign up!

Welcome to ECCIE - Sign up today!

Become a part of one of the fastest growing adult communities online. We have something for you, whether you’re a male member seeking out new friends or a new lady on the scene looking to take advantage of our many opportunities to network, make new friends, or connect with people. Join today & take part in lively discussions, take advantage of all the great features that attract hundreds of new daily members!

Go Premium

Go Back   ECCIE Worldwide > General Interest > A Question of Legality
A Question of Legality Post your legal questions here (general, nothing of a personal nature)

Most Favorited Images
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
Most Liked Images
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
Top Reviewers
cockalatte 645
MoneyManMatt 490
Still Looking 399
samcruz 398
Jon Bon 385
Harley Diablo 370
honest_abe 362
DFW_Ladies_Man 313
Chung Tran 288
lupegarland 287
nicemusic 285
You&Me 281
Starscream66 262
sharkman29 250
George Spelvin 244
Top Posters
DallasRain70384
biomed160299
Yssup Rider59854
gman4452869
LexusLover51038
WTF48267
offshoredrilling47436
pyramider46370
bambino40286
CryptKicker37064
Mokoa36485
Chung Tran36100
Still Looking35944
The_Waco_Kid35162
Mojojo33117

Old 09-26-2014, 09:44 PM   #1
white_wolf
Registered Member

Encounters: 2
Default retainers

After reading the forums, I think I should have a lawyer. But, I have no clue on how retainers work, or even if the lawyer would still be able to help me if his practice is not in the state I was arrested in.

So in short.

What is a retainer?

How do they work?

Can the lawyer on retainer still help me if I have been arrested in a different state than his/her practice?
white_wolf is offline   Quote
Old 09-27-2014, 07:51 AM   #2
jframe2
Valued Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by white_wolf View Post
After reading the forums, I think I should have a lawyer. But, I have no clue on how retainers work, or even if the lawyer would still be able to help me if his practice is not in the state I was arrested in.

So in short.

What is a retainer?

How do they work?

Can the lawyer on retainer still help me if I have been arrested in a different state than his/her practice?
Your attorney has to be licensed to practice law in the state where your problem lies or the crime is committed for them to represent you in the jurisdiction of the crime.

Contact at least three attorneys that have offices close to the courthouse where your case will be heard and ask them how much they would charge to represent you. This will help you get an idea on your costs and if the attorney is in that court very often.

Retainers are simply a down payment you pay towards a total agreed upon amount for the services an attorney provides. Think of it as paying 50% to the roofer to re-roof your house. You agree to pay more as the work progresses towards 100% completion.

And get it (the agreed upon fee and retainer and payment amounts) in writing and receipts for all payments you make.

Good luck
jframe2 is offline   Quote
Old 09-27-2014, 10:01 AM   #3
ShysterJon
Valued Poster

Encounters: 1

Quote:

So in short.

What is a retainer?

How do they work?
My views about retainers are a little different from jframe2's.

As an aside, I'll say a few words about paying a lawyer. An attorney can work at a flat rate, which means he charges a set fee for a project. For example, say you were arrested on suspicion of having committed the offense of DWI. I would charge you a flat rate to defend you, and I may work 5 hours on the case or 50, depending on the circumstances of the particular case. A lawyer may also be paid by the hour to work. Finally, a lawyer may be paid a contingency fee, meaning whether he's paid is contingent (that is, dependent) on whether the client recovers money. So if a jury awards a plaintiff money, the attorney takes a percentage, determined by the contract between the attorney and client. If the plaintiff recovers no money, the lawyer doesn't get paid. Contingency fee arrangements are permitted in civil cases only (at least in Texas). Not that criminal defendants recover money, but in the sense that payment for representation in a criminal case can't be dependent on the outcome. For example, in Texas a lawyer can't be paid one fee if his client is found guilty and another fee if his client is acquitted.

Retainer agreements between attorneys and clients in both civil and criminal matters are a bit different. Regarding civil matters, a business may retain an attorney to be on board in the event the business has a question regarding a policy or a specific situation that may lead to litigation. The advantage to a business to have a retained attorney is the attorney will presumably have knowledge of the operations of the business which should make his advice more tailored to his client's needs. Another advantage is the business doesn't have to search for a lawyer each time it needs help. The client also buys peace of mind and relative certainty. A final advantage might be cost. For example, if a client who's retained me calls me to talk for a few minutes about an issue, chances are I won't bill them.

Criminal retainer programs obviously vary by attorney. I offer a criminal retainer program to hobbyists and providers and charge a flat fee for the following services:
1. I will answer the client's questions during an initial, in-person meeting;
2. I will answer the client's questions in the future, within reason; and
3. I will arrange a bail bond if the client is arrested and the client wants me to arrange a bond.
If a client is charged with an offense and wants to retain me to defend him, I credit the retainer fee toward the fee for the defense.

The advantages of such a criminal retainer program are the same as those for a civil retainer. The client receives reasoned, experienced, and knowledgeable advice to prevent them from being arrested. They buy peace of mind and certainty. In the event they are arrested, they may be bonded from jail quickly, discreetly, and with reduced expense.

Quote:
I think you may be talking about two different situations. In the first situation, the client lives in State A and the attorney is licensed to practice in State B, and the client hobbies only in State A. I would not suggest that the client hire this attorney because the attorney is not licensed to practice in the client's home state.

The other situation is the client hobbies when he travels. Infrequently, I've had clients who retained me get busted outside of Texas (which is where I live). It wasn't that difficult for me to arrange their bond. If the client is charged with a crime outside Texas, I can find them 3-5 qualified lawyers in that state to talk to because I either know attorneys in that state or I can check the membership list of one of the criminal defense attorney organizations I belong to. But sometimes, depending on the circumstances, I have represented clients in criminal cases outside Texas. What I do in such situations is file a motion (called a pro hac vice motion) to be admitted in the court in the state outside Texas for purposes of the case(s) only. ('Pro hace vice' is Latin for 'this time only.') Since I've been practicing law a long time, I've never had a pro hac vice motion denied. I live in Dallas. To me, there's not a great deal of difference between handling a case in San Antonio, which is about 275 miles from Dallas, and a case in Oklahoma City, which is about 205 miles from Dallas.

By the way, I think it is a myth that a person should hire a criminal defense attorney who practices where the case is filed. For example, I don't have a high opinion of the defense bars in Collin and Denton County, Texas, because I think they kowtow to the prosecutors. On the other hand, there are many fine members of the Dallas County defense bar. A seasoned lawyer can learn local practices and rules. The key is their capability, not geography. Also, being an 'outsider' can be an advantage, especially in small towns. I don't give a shit who I might piss off in zealously representing my client. My only concern is that my client get the best possible outcome. In the 'good ol' boy' networks in some small towns, defense attorneys go along to get along with judges and prosecutors because they have to deal with them every day.
ShysterJon is offline   Quote
Old 09-27-2014, 11:33 AM   #4
white_wolf
Registered Member

Encounters: 2

So, I should look for a good seasoned lawyer to put on retainer?

Should I look for one that specializes in the field I would most likely be arrested in?

Yes I know I have a lot of questions and could probably just Google search for information but, I would likely get 50 million answers to it.
My job forces me to travel a lot so, if I ever was to be arrested, odds are I would not be in my home state. Possibly not the same even country.
white_wolf is offline   Quote
Old 09-27-2014, 11:50 AM   #5
ShysterJon
Valued Poster

Encounters: 1

Quote:
So, I should look for a good seasoned lawyer to put on retainer?

Should I look for one that specializes in the field I would most likely be arrested in?

Yes I know I have a lot of questions and could probably just Google search for information but, I would likely get 50 million answers to it.
My job forces me to travel a lot so, if I ever was to be arrested, odds are I would not be in my home state. Possibly not the same even country.
My advice is to look first for a good criminal defense attorney near where you live. The easiest way to find one is call your local bar association for a few referrals, then call them. No attorney should charge for an initial consultation. If that doesn't work, email me and tell me what city you live in and I'll send you contact information for some referrals.

I'm not sure what you mean by "the field I would most likely be arrested in." You can explain here or email me.
ShysterJon is offline   Quote
Old 09-28-2014, 09:11 PM   #6
Dogoffhisleash
Gaining Momentum

Encounters: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShysterJon View Post
For example, I don't have a high opinion of the defense bars in Collin and Denton County, Texas, because I think they kowtow to the prosecutors. On the other hand, there are many fine members of the Dallas County defense bar. .
It's interesting how where you come from can color your opinion, I would have said the exact opposite regarding those three counties
Dogoffhisleash is offline   Quote

AMPReviews.net
Find Ladies
Hot Women