Welcome to ECCIE, become a part of the fastest growing adult community. Take a minute & sign up!

Welcome to ECCIE - Sign up today!

Become a part of one of the fastest growing adult communities online. We have something for you, whether you’re a male member seeking out new friends or a new lady on the scene looking to take advantage of our many opportunities to network, make new friends, or connect with people. Join today & take part in lively discussions, take advantage of all the great features that attract hundreds of new daily members!

Go Premium

Go Back   ECCIE Worldwide > General Interest > Diamonds and Tuxedos
Diamonds and Tuxedos Glamour, elegance, and sophistication. That's what it's all about here in ECCIE's newest forum which caters to those with expensive tastes, lavish lifestyles, and an appetite for upscale entertainment.

Most Favorited Images
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
Most Liked Images
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
Top Reviewers
cockalatte 645
MoneyManMatt 490
Still Looking 399
samcruz 398
Jon Bon 385
Harley Diablo 373
honest_abe 362
DFW_Ladies_Man 313
Chung Tran 288
lupegarland 287
nicemusic 285
You&Me 281
Starscream66 262
sharkman29 250
George Spelvin 246
Top Posters
DallasRain70403
biomed160442
Yssup Rider59883
gman4452907
LexusLover51038
WTF48267
offshoredrilling47493
pyramider46370
bambino40300
CryptKicker37074
Mokoa36485
Chung Tran36100
Still Looking35944
The_Waco_Kid35287
Mojojo33117

Old 03-27-2011, 09:43 AM   #1
Camille
Pending Age Verification

User ID: 511
My ECCIE Reviews
Default What skills did your parents teach you?

Or what skills do you think are important enough to teach your kids?
I don't mean things like respect etc..I mean skill sets.

My dad taught me a a couple of things. He was a phenomenal cook...and he got me into it because he enjoyed it. It got to the point where every Saturday night until I was about 18, I would cook a 3 course dinner for my parents, sisters and whoever else was at our house that day. I loved it..and still do to this day.

He also taught me quite a bit about driving. Whilst I had lessons with an instructor, pops taught me some additional stuff...like what to do if you skid on ice, how to take a corner that you in advertently come up against at speed and how to change a tyre, dip the oil and check the water levels and change headlight bulbs. The first year I had a car he ripped out the radio and said he would replace it with a good system if I got through the first 12 months of driving with no tickets and/or accidents. It was pretty good actually because it did force me to concentrate much more than I would have done with music. He also taught me how to drive trucks, fast sports cars and other larger vehicles...so that I knew what I was up against on the road. I learned pretty quickly how easily other vehicles could or could not slow down/speed up which was pretty important for a newbie driver.

My mum had a job that involved meeting people of various cultures. She would always try and introduce me to them at some point and I learnt a lot about what life was like in Russia, Africa etc. I think that created a thirst not just for travel but also to live in various places and do as the natives do. It has also made me sensitive to the nuances of others..even when they speak the same language.

She is also really talented at interior design and taught me how to mix and match various colours and textiles that I wouldn't normally have given a second thought. I think I most came to value that as a student who lived in the obligatory shitty digs that needed brightening (and often cleaning) up on the cheap. I really enjoy shopping for home stuff now as boring as that might sound...because I like trying to find new things to mix and match.

Ok, over to you guys.

C
Camille is offline   Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 10:14 AM   #2
pjorourke
Valued Poster

Encounters: 1

My father taught me that if something doesn't fit, you need to get a bigger hammer.

As you can guess, home repair was not our thing.
pjorourke is offline   Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 11:20 AM   #3
guest010313
Account Disabled

User ID: 48112
My ECCIE Reviews

Cooking, home remodeling (minor stuff, but I can do cabinets!), analytical thinking, dancing, social graces and manners (always, sometimes, never! ~ elbows), compassion, and cynicism.

The one thing I wish my mom had taught me? How to be a girl!
guest010313 is offline   Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 11:26 AM   #4
Naomi4u
Pending Age Verification

User ID: 55719
My ECCIE Reviews

My mother taught me how to cook. She always said there's no way a good man would stick around if I didn't know how to cook so I quickly learned. She also taught me how to shop and decorate. My mom could make a shirt from walmart look like Prada.

My father taught me how to manage money. He always said "Milionaires didn't become millionaires by spending money on useless things". That one didn't stick. LOL.
Naomi4u is offline   Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 12:03 PM   #5
Marshall
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naomi4u View Post
My father taught me how to manage money. He always said "Milionaires didn't become millionaires by spending money on useless things".
They do if they start out as billionaires.......
Marshall is offline   Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 12:33 PM   #6
Naomi4u
Pending Age Verification

My ECCIE Reviews

LOL!
Old 03-27-2011, 12:37 PM   #7
Valerie
Pending Age Verification

User ID: 54212
My ECCIE Reviews

Well my mum is a bit crazy, we moved around a lot whilst growing up ( wherever her boyfriend at the time lived), I used to get really angry about it, but what I did learn was to speak various languages
Valerie is offline   Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 01:28 PM   #8
charlestudor2005
Valued Poster

Encounters: 8

Quote:
My mother taught me how to cook. She always said there's no way a good man would stick around if I didn't know how to cook
That's so not true. I do the cooking (taught myself). [Of course, maybe I don't fit the definition of "a good man."]

I'm a little upset at my dad. He refused to pass on the skills he had learned from his father who was a master carpenter.
charlestudor2005 is offline   Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 01:31 PM   #9
Valerie
Pending Age Verification

My ECCIE Reviews

Quote:
My mother taught me how to cook. She always said there's no way a good man would stick around if I didn't know how to cook so I quickly learned. She also taught me how to shop and decorate. My mom could make a shirt from walmart look like a Prada.

My father taught me how to manage money. He always said "Milionaires didn't become millionaires by spending money on useless things". That one didn't stick. LOL.
When I came to live with my dad in the states he tried to teach me how to cook....unfortunately it didn't take....
Old 03-27-2011, 01:48 PM   #10
Bebe Le Strange
Account Disabled

User ID: 66305

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlestudor2005 View Post
That's so not true. I do the cooking (taught myself). [Of course, maybe I don't fit the definition of "a good man."]

I'm a little upset at my dad. He refused to pass on the skills he had learned from his father who was a master carpenter.

Ever heard the expression "Live full, die empty"? I always say don't take it with you to your grave.

If you can share with your children your skills, and teach them talents that they can use in life then you should do so!
Bebe Le Strange is offline   Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 01:51 PM   #11
Marcus Aurelius
Ambassador

Encounters: 2
My ECCIE Reviews

My dad worked his ass off to take care of us. He would work 12 hour shifts and he still had time for us kids. He was a machinist and this was before C&C machines BTW. His hands had heavy callouses. Nobody and nothing came before family. He taught himself trigonometry. He machined reactor parts for the nuclear carrier Nimitz. All of this without a high school diploma.
If you were able you worked or you went to school. He was a John Wayne type of guy. 6'4”, narrow at the hip and wide at the shoulder. I'm just a little over 6' so I'm the runt of us boys. He wanted us boys to learn a trade. I said I wanted to go to school and do something else. He said “That's fine son. Never begrudge a man for trying to better himself.” He was a marine in WWII. He taught me by example. The stories I could tell about this man. When cancer came knocking
he fought it like so many others do. I heard the doctor tell my mother that my dad was the bravest man he ever met. My mother was left with 5 children. She taught me that we can do anything when we stick together. My mother taught me that when times get incredibly hard and age and stress take their toll on a person they can remain beautiful and thankful.

I'm very thankful BTW.
Marcus Aurelius is offline   Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 01:53 PM   #12
Naomi4u
Pending Age Verification

My ECCIE Reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlestudor2005 View Post

Lol! Mind you Charles I've had my share of failed relationships. I cooked for only one of them and it lasted 2 years . So maybe mom was right... he left me because he didn't accept the hobby and not for my cooking which is a good thing. Can't blame him. My mom is a housewife she does not work. My parents have been together for over 20 years.

My father is a very interesting and intelligent man. I only wish to marry a man like him one day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valerie View Post
When I came to live with my dad in the states he tried to teach me how to cook....unfortunately it didn't take....
LOL! So now you use the microwave eh? Aww ... just buy some cookbooks. I can cook Nigerian and Liberian food like it's nobody's business. I can also cook Italian dishes (lived in Italy for a very short time).
Old 03-27-2011, 01:56 PM   #13
Valerie
Pending Age Verification

My ECCIE Reviews

Quote:
Lol! Mind you Charles I've had my share of failed relationships. I cooked for only one of them and it lasted 2 years . So maybe mom was right... he left me because he didn't accept the hobby and not for my cooking which is a good thing. Can't blame him.

My father is a very interesting and intelligent man. I only wish to marry a man like him one day.

LOL! So now you use the microwave eh? Aww ... just buy some cookbooks. I can cook Nigerian and Liberian food like it's nobody's business. I can also cook Italian dishes (lived in Italy for a very short time).
At times I do, I mean there are certain things I have to make, but they are really easy ha....Everything else is like fruit or raw veggies so I don't have to do much cooking
Old 03-27-2011, 02:05 PM   #14
Iaintliein
Valued Poster

Patience, courtesy, simple cooking, and accurate shooting. For which I'm eternally grateful.

From his deathbed, Dad also warned, "never trust a preacher, he'll screw you with a limber dick". Which remains the best advice I've ever been given.
Iaintliein is offline   Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 02:10 PM   #15
Marcus Aurelius
Ambassador

My ECCIE Reviews

Marcus Aurelius is offline   Quote

AMPReviews.net
Find Ladies
Hot Women