Welcome to ECCIE, become a part of the fastest growing adult community. Take a minute & sign up!

Welcome to ECCIE - Sign up today!

Become a part of one of the fastest growing adult communities online. We have something for you, whether you’re a male member seeking out new friends or a new lady on the scene looking to take advantage of our many opportunities to network, make new friends, or connect with people. Join today & take part in lively discussions, take advantage of all the great features that attract hundreds of new daily members!

Go Premium

Go Back   ECCIE Worldwide > Kansas and Missouri > Kansas City Metro > The Sandbox
The Sandbox The Sandbox is a collection of off-topic discussions. Humorous threads, Sports talk, and a wide variety of other topics can be found here. If it's NOT hobby-related, then you're in the right place!

Most Favorited Images
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
Most Liked Images
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
Top Reviewers
cockalatte 645
MoneyManMatt 490
Still Looking 399
samcruz 398
Jon Bon 385
Harley Diablo 373
honest_abe 362
DFW_Ladies_Man 313
Chung Tran 288
lupegarland 287
nicemusic 285
You&Me 281
Starscream66 264
sharkman29 251
George Spelvin 248
Top Posters
DallasRain70425
biomed160644
Yssup Rider59971
gman4452938
LexusLover51038
WTF48267
offshoredrilling47586
pyramider46370
bambino40333
CryptKicker37085
Mokoa36487
Chung Tran36100
Still Looking35944
The_Waco_Kid35412
Mojojo33117

Thread Closed

Old 02-11-2010, 03:38 PM   #46
lacrew_2000
Account Disabled

Encounters: 36

Omahan, I have experimented with putting a system like this on my compact car. Unfortunately it screws up the oxygen ratio, which the O2 sensor reads, and the computer compensates by sending more fuel, making it run rich and poorer mileage. I think there is potential in using water to boost power, and perhaps efficiency with these systems; but, the computer has to be adjusted to do it. I don't think these systems would ever be standard equipment on a car though, since the consumer would have to periodically add water, make sure the water didn't freeze, add a salt to the water periodically to improve the process, and periodically change out the stainless steel anode. Too much effort for a 4-5% increase in mileage, when you can achieve the same with just driving less agressively.
Old 02-12-2010, 03:30 AM   #47
Longermonger
Valued Poster

Encounters: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by lacrew_2000 View Post
Oil: Also getting cleaner (remarkable difference when we went unleaded for example). Some fuel efficiency has actually been sacrificed in order to clean emmissions further (EGR System, AIR System, Converters, etc.) No known fuel today can fuel a car as efficiently as gasoline.
Thank "government mandates" for cleaning up gasoline engines. If Republicans had their way, we'd still be driving around big block V8 cars on leaded fuel that barely made 200 horsepower. (Yes...go check the horsepower figures and how horsepower was rated back then.) If you truly believe that global climate change is "hysteria" then you should blank off your EGR and replace your cats with a test pipe.

As far as the "no known fuel claim"...hello? DIESEL? It has much more BTUs than gasoline and is fuel throttled, not air throttled. So it doesn't need a restrictive throttlebody and doesn't have to waste fuel for cylinder cooling.

DD, the transportation sector is where most of the problems lie and it is where we can kill a dozen birds with one stone. The U.S. has plenty of coal, wind, sunlight, shoreline, hydro, geothermal sites, natural gas, etc. But cars run on petroleum. And that oil is price fixed by OPEC using cuts in production. (OPEC=2/3 of the world oil reserves, 1/3 of world oil production)
Since vehicles can be updated and replaced rapidly compared to other sources of pollution we can quickly reduce pollution, screw over the Arabs, and save money at the fuel pump. How? We make cars that are more like the VW L1 and less like Hummers.

But, since I know people are stupid and do stupid things...we should focus on fleets before personally owned vehicles. Natural gas powered semi truck fleets might be worth a look. Or semi trucks could switch to a diesel-electric powertrain like that used in locomotives for 50 years. That would let them downsize their engines. Rental car fleets should all be plug-in hybrids.
Old 02-12-2010, 08:37 AM   #48
Guest072311
Account Disabled

Encounters: 7

more thoughts on the weather?
[ame="http://www.eccie.net/showthread.php?t=17909"]http://www.eccie.net/showthread.php?t=17909[/ame]
Old 02-12-2010, 10:11 AM   #49
Omahan
Secretary of State

I saw a weather report this morning that said we could have snow in all 48 contiguous states today. I didn't watch the entire report so they may have meant the last ones that haven't had snow yet this winter will get snow today or that it will all happen today. Or maybe I just misunderstood what she said since I wasn't paying much attention before I heard that.
Old 02-12-2010, 10:43 AM   #50
dirty dog
Valued Poster

Encounters: 1

'we'd still be driving around big block V8 cars on leaded fuel that barely made 200 horsepower. (Yes...go check the horsepower figures and how horsepower was rated back then.)"

I am not sure what big block V8 cars you were driving but mine produced much more than 200 hp. When the first gas crisis hit in 1974 we saw a reduction of horsepower, but prior to that horsepower was in abundance regardless of whether it was measured at the crackshaft, or the rear tires.

"We make cars that are more like the VW L1 and less like Hummers."

Apparently your not a family man or you would know that a VW L1 is not practical for moving a family around. I guess we should limit production of children too?
Old 02-12-2010, 11:28 AM   #51
BigMikeinKC
Valued Poster

Encounters: 19

Just a thought, we someone says prove global warming, it will always be challenged. It turns into a he said, she said debate. As for me, I err on the side of caution.

Remember, gravity is just a theory - but I tend to believe in it.
Old 02-12-2010, 01:05 PM   #52
lacrew_2000
Account Disabled

Encounters: 36

The lead phase out was begun by EPA mandate (executive branch), in 1973, when Nixon was president. The 1996 Clean Air Act, passed by a Republican congress, banned lead in fuel completely. So much for painting those dastardly Republicans as dirty leaded bastards.

Diesel?

Last week, average cost gasoline = 2.65, average cost diesel = 2.77
Gas = 125,000 btu/gal, diesel = 138,700 btu/gal
Leads to gas gives you 47,000 btu per dollar, diesel gives you 50,000 btu per dollar, or 6% more output.

but, because of high compression, a diesel weighs 25% more than a gasoline engine. This makes a diesel a great idea for heavy equipment, and a terrible idea for a compact car....but don't take my word for it, just notice that the vast majority of automobiles use gasoline (and not by accident). This basic concept is a learning point in the automotive chapter of basic thermodynamics classes. There are also unique health concerns related to diesel pollution...whole different subject.

So, I'll say it again, gasoline is our best fuel option, hands down. Want to neuter OPEC? Just drill here. ANWAR, Florida Gulf coast, Colorado's west slope...why can't we drill there?
Old 02-12-2010, 02:00 PM   #53
BigMikeinKC
Valued Poster

Encounters: 19

Perhaps if we (Europe actually - most of our oil imports are from Mexico) drain the OPEC dry, then guess who is in the catbird's seat...
Old 02-12-2010, 03:57 PM   #54
Guest072311
Account Disabled

Encounters: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigMikeinKC View Post
Perhaps if we (Europe actually - most of our oil imports are from Mexico) drain the OPEC dry, then guess who is in the catbird's seat...
Hum.......

OPEC* INCLUDES THESE COUNTRIES?
GULF COUNTRIES
Iraq
Kuwait
Qatar
Saudi Arabia
United Arab Emirates

AFRICA
Libya
Nigeria
Algeria
Angola

SOUTH AMER
Ecuador
Venezuela
Old 02-12-2010, 05:44 PM   #55
MsElena
Pending Age Verification

User ID: 3063
My ECCIE Reviews

49 States experienced snowfall today. Mother nature is making us pay for something.
Old 02-12-2010, 10:21 PM   #56
Guest121212
Account Disabled

User ID: 6416
My ECCIE Reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsElena View Post
49 States experienced snowfall today. Mother nature is making us pay for something.
Shovels.

Kisses,

- Jackie
Old 02-13-2010, 08:51 AM   #57
Longermonger
Valued Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirty dog View Post
I am not sure what big block V8 cars you were driving but mine produced much more than 200 hp. When the first gas crisis hit in 1974 we saw a reduction of horsepower, but prior to that horsepower was in abundance regardless of whether it was measured at the crackshaft, or the rear tires.

Apparently your not a family man or you would know that a VW L1 is not practical for moving a family around. I guess we should limit production of children too?
a) I was going to ask you what a "crackshaft" is but "crack" and "crank" are both funny.
b) The large majority of V8 engines sold were NOT punched-out big-block race engines. Most were lame smaller displacement engines with crappy heads that struggled to make power or rev over 4000rpm. They SOUND powerful because the manufacturers rated them on flywheel horsepower on a stand with no accessories...or whatever number sounded good. Ford was NOTORIOUS for fibbing. You know that the 5.0L Mustang V8 is only 4.9L, right?
c) The VW L1 is a brilliant design that could easily be scaled up. While most current designs are pure crap and couldn't be scaled down small enough to be efficient. Ever.
Old 02-13-2010, 10:10 AM   #58
Longermonger
Valued Poster

Did Nixon time travel back from 1973 to 1970 to sign the (Democrats') Clean Air Act? That was a bill from a Democratically controlled House and Senate. Or does the President get credit because he signed it? Because I notice you left out the name and party of the guy who signed the 1996 version of the CAA. Tsk, tsk. I see what you did there.

You have a few timeline problems. How could Nixon start the phase out in 1973 when he signed the Lead-Based Paint Poisoning Prevention Act in 1971? Thanks for helping me "paint" (pun intended) those dstardly Republicans as dirty leaded bastards. I use lead-based paint, btw.

See: Subaru's all aluminum Diesel engine. These have been on the road in Europe for almost 3 years, I think. That one car pretty much disproves everything you claimed (other than the part where you agreed with me that Diesel makes more power...disproving your earlier point).

You just don't seem to get that free market supply and demand rules don't apply when a price fixing cartel like OPEC is in the mix so I'm going to have to resort to Hookernomics.

HOOKERNOMICS: Okay, *normally* you'd be able to supply more oil and drop the price just like more streetwalkers will drop the market price of a BJ, given a constant amount of customers. But OPEC is a pimp. He's got thousands of girls working the streets and doesn't care if you add one or two more streetwalkers ten years from now. He'd just reduce supply to fix the price and save those ho's for later. Trying to increase supply is a fool's errand. A better strategy is for everybody to "go green" and find an alternative to the SWs. The OPEC pimp will soon go broke and the streets will be clean. TaDa!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lacrew_2000 View Post
The lead phase out was begun by EPA mandate (executive branch), in 1973, when Nixon was president. The 1996 Clean Air Act, passed by a Republican congress, banned lead in fuel completely. So much for painting those dastardly Republicans as dirty leaded bastards.

Diesel?

Last week, average cost gasoline = 2.65, average cost diesel = 2.77
Gas = 125,000 btu/gal, diesel = 138,700 btu/gal
Leads to gas gives you 47,000 btu per dollar, diesel gives you 50,000 btu per dollar, or 6% more output.

but, because of high compression, a diesel weighs 25% more than a gasoline engine. This makes a diesel a great idea for heavy equipment, and a terrible idea for a compact car....but don't take my word for it, just notice that the vast majority of automobiles use gasoline (and not by accident). This basic concept is a learning point in the automotive chapter of basic thermodynamics classes. There are also unique health concerns related to diesel pollution...whole different subject.

So, I'll say it again, gasoline is our best fuel option, hands down. Want to neuter OPEC? Just drill here. ANWAR, Florida Gulf coast, Colorado's west slope...why can't we drill there?
Old 02-13-2010, 11:09 AM   #59
Bubba
ECCIE Ambassador

Encounters: 1

This has been a fascinating, informative and pretty civil discussion! Thanks!!! I really enjoy these types of threads. It's kind of like actually reading the articles in Playboy. You never know what you will learn!!

Here is my nickel's worth:

In the short term I think we need to become less dependent on foreign oil. I think most people would agree with this!

For the long term I think we have to develop some type of renewable energy source.. We can't keep taking from the earth. Regardless of how much oil or natural gas there is left we can't keep using if forever.
Old 02-13-2010, 11:17 AM   #60
BiggestBest
Valued Poster

Encounters: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubba View Post
It's kind of like actually reading the articles in Playboy. You never know what you will learn!!
You're absolutely right, Bubba. Playboy has articles? I'll check that out.
Thread Closed