Welcome to ECCIE, become a part of the fastest growing adult community. Take a minute & sign up!

Welcome to ECCIE - Sign up today!

Become a part of one of the fastest growing adult communities online. We have something for you, whether you’re a male member seeking out new friends or a new lady on the scene looking to take advantage of our many opportunities to network, make new friends, or connect with people. Join today & take part in lively discussions, take advantage of all the great features that attract hundreds of new daily members!

Go Premium

Go Back   ECCIE Worldwide > Texas > Houston > The Sandbox - Houston
The Sandbox - Houston The Sandbox is a collection of off-topic discussions. Humorous threads, Sports talk, and a wide variety of other topics can be found here. If it's NOT an adult-themed topic, then it belongs here

Most Favorited Images
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
Most Liked Images
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
Top Reviewers
cockalatte 645
MoneyManMatt 490
Still Looking 399
samcruz 398
Jon Bon 385
Harley Diablo 373
honest_abe 362
DFW_Ladies_Man 313
Chung Tran 288
lupegarland 287
nicemusic 285
You&Me 281
Starscream66 264
sharkman29 252
George Spelvin 248
Top Posters
DallasRain70426
biomed160661
Yssup Rider59984
gman4452939
LexusLover51038
WTF48267
offshoredrilling47592
pyramider46370
bambino40333
CryptKicker37085
Mokoa36487
Chung Tran36100
Still Looking35944
The_Waco_Kid35417
Mojojo33117

Old 05-27-2013, 09:16 AM   #1
Dorian Gray
Premium Access

Encounters: 58
Default Memorial Day

Memorial Day is a United States federal holiday which occurs every year on the final Monday of May.[1] Memorial Day is a day of remembering the men and women who died while serving in the United States Armed Forces.[2] Formerly known as Decoration Day, it originated after the American Civil War to commemorate the Union and Confederate soldiers who died in the Civil War. By the 20th century, Memorial Day had been extended to honor all Americans who have died while in the military service.[3] It typically marks the start of the summer vacation season, while Labor Day marks its end.
Many people visit cemeteries and memorials, particularly to honor those who have died in military service. Many volunteers place an American flag on each grave in national cemeteries.

Memorial Day is not to be confused with Veterans Day; Memorial Day is a day of remembering the men and women who died while serving, while Veterans Day celebrates the service of all U.S. military veterans.[5]

The preferred name for the holiday gradually changed from "Decoration Day" to "Memorial Day", which was first used in 1882.[33] It did not become more common until after World War II, and was not declared the official name by Federal law until 1967.[34] On June 28, 1968, the Congress passed the Uniform Monday Holiday Act, which moved four holidays, including Memorial Day, from their traditional dates to a specified Monday in order to create a convenient three-day weekend.[35] The change moved Memorial Day from its traditional May 30 date to the last Monday in May. The law took effect at the federal level in 1971.[35] After some initial confusion and unwillingness to comply, all 50 states adopted Congress' change of date within a few years.
Memorial Day endures as a holiday which most businesses observe because it marks the unofficial beginning of summer. The Veterans of Foreign Wars (VFW) and Sons of Union Veterans of the Civil War (SUVCW) advocate returning to the original date, although the significance of the date is tenuous. The VFW stated in a 2002 Memorial Day Address:
Changing the date merely to create three-day weekends has undermined the very meaning of the day. No doubt, this has contributed a lot to the general public's nonchalant observance of Memorial Day.[36]
Starting in 1987 Hawaii's Senator Daniel Inouye, a World War II veteran, introduced a measure to return Memorial Day to its traditional date. Inouye continued introducing the resolution until his death in 2012.[37]

On Memorial Day the flag of the United States is raised briskly to the top of the staff and then solemnly lowered to the half-staff position, where it remains only until noon.[38] It is then raised to full-staff for the remainder of the day.[39]

The half-staff position remembers the more than one million men and women who gave their lives in service of their country. At noon their memory is raised by the living, who resolve not to let their sacrifice be in vain, but to rise up in their stead and continue the fight for liberty and justice for all.

Dorian Gray is offline   Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 10:00 AM   #2
joecholo
Valued Poster

Encounters: 33
Default Let's Bow Our Heads In Silence

Honoring today all the servicemembers that made the ulitmate and unselfish sacrifice as well as their families for being and staying strong. May God bless them all on this Memorial Day.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Memorial Day Half Mast US Flag.jpg (170.3 KB, 399 views)
joecholo is offline   Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 10:33 AM   #3
DickEmDown
Trick

Encounters: 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorian Gray View Post
Memorial Day is a day of remembering the men and women who died while serving in the United States Armed Forces.

Memorial Day is not to be confused with Veterans Day; Memorial Day is a day of remembering the men and women who died while serving, while Veterans Day celebrates the service of all U.S. military veterans.

Excellent post DG...TOO many people continually get these two mixed up

I've already received about 5 "Thank You for serving" texts today
DickEmDown is offline   Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 11:06 AM   #4
cumalot
Registered Member

Encounters: 14

Although this is a special day, It doesn't take a special day to remember my high school buddies that made the ultimate sacrifice in Nam for this country, as I remember them in my heart always.
cumalot is offline   Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 11:25 AM   #5
Guest100613
Account Disabled

User ID: 155138
My ECCIE Reviews

Indeed... Our servicemen and women who made that final sacrifice should be honored always.
Guest100613 is offline   Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 11:59 AM   #6
Dorian Gray
Premium Access

Default Changing of the Guard

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZYZgbgJdvc0

A permanent guard is mounted at the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier at Arlington National Cemetery in Arlington, VA, near Washington, DC. This is performed by a single member of the 3rd U.S. Infantry Regiment. There is a meticulous routine which the Tomb Guard follows during a 63 feet (19.2 m) march when watching over the Tomb.[5] The Guard:
  1. Marches 21 steps down the black mat behind the Tomb.
  2. Turns, faces east for 21 seconds.
  3. Turns and faces north for 21 seconds.
  4. Takes 21 steps down the mat.
  5. Repeats the routine until the soldier is relieved of duty at the Changing of the Guard.
After each turn, the Guard executes a sharp "shoulder-arms" movement to place the weapon on the shoulder closest to the visitors to signify that the Guard stands between the Tomb and any possible threat.
Twenty-one was chosen because it symbolizes the highest military honor that can be bestowed—the 21-gun salute.

Each turn the guard makes is precise and is instantly followed by a loud click of the heels as he snaps them together. The guard is changed every half hour during daylight in the summer, and every hour during daylight in the winter and every two hours at night (when the cemetery is closed to the public), regardless of weather conditions. A guard has been on duty at the site continuously, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, since July 2, 1937.

During the day in summer months from April 1 to September 30, the guard is changed every half hour. During the winter months, from October 1 to March 31, the guard is changed every hour. After the cemetery closes to the public (7 p.m. to 8 a.m. April through September, and 5 p.m. to 8 a.m. October through March), the guard is changed every 2 hours. The ceremony can be witnessed by the public whenever Arlington National Cemetery is open.[6][7]

The guard change is very symbolic, but also conducted in accordance with Army regulations. The relief commander or assistant relief commander, along with the oncoming guard, are both required for a guard change to take place. The guard being relieved will say to the oncoming guard, "Post and orders remain as directed." The oncoming guard's response is always, "Orders acknowledged."
Old 05-27-2013, 12:44 PM   #7
Guest021824
Account Disabled

Encounters: 102

Quote:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZYZgbgJdvc0

A permanent guard is mounted at the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier at Arlington National Cemetery in Arlington, VA, near Washington, DC. This is performed by a single member of the 3rd U.S. Infantry Regiment. There is a meticulous routine which the Tomb Guard follows during a 63 feet (19.2 m) march when watching over the Tomb.[5] The Guard:
  1. Marches 21 steps down the black mat behind the Tomb.
  2. Turns, faces east for 21 seconds.
  3. Turns and faces north for 21 seconds.
  4. Takes 21 steps down the mat.
  5. Repeats the routine until the soldier is relieved of duty at the Changing of the Guard.
After each turn, the Guard executes a sharp "shoulder-arms" movement to place the weapon on the shoulder closest to the visitors to signify that the Guard stands between the Tomb and any possible threat.
Twenty-one was chosen because it symbolizes the highest military honor that can be bestowed—the 21-gun salute.

Each turn the guard makes is precise and is instantly followed by a loud click of the heels as he snaps them together. The guard is changed every half hour during daylight in the summer, and every hour during daylight in the winter and every two hours at night (when the cemetery is closed to the public), regardless of weather conditions. A guard has been on duty at the site continuously, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, since July 2, 1937.

During the day in summer months from April 1 to September 30, the guard is changed every half hour. During the winter months, from October 1 to March 31, the guard is changed every hour. After the cemetery closes to the public (7 p.m. to 8 a.m. April through September, and 5 p.m. to 8 a.m. October through March), the guard is changed every 2 hours. The ceremony can be witnessed by the public whenever Arlington National Cemetery is open.[6][7]

The guard change is very symbolic, but also conducted in accordance with Army regulations. The relief commander or assistant relief commander, along with the oncoming guard, are both required for a guard change to take place. The guard being relieved will say to the oncoming guard, "Post and orders remain as directed." The oncoming guard's response is always, "Orders acknowledged."

If you ever go to DC...You need to see the changing of the guard at the tomb of the unknown solider. It is really someting to see. Rain, sleet, cold or snow...he is there.

Guest021824 is offline   Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 01:16 PM   #8
txmarkie
Gaining Momentum

Encounters: 4

Here's to fallen and absent friends. Memories still bright.
txmarkie is offline   Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 02:51 PM   #9
hornfreak
Valued Poster

Encounters: 45

You're right Ike, it's something impressive to see. I've been there a couple of times with two of my best friends who served in the Marines.
hornfreak is offline   Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 08:01 PM   #10
Dorian Gray
Premium Access

Default .

Old 05-28-2013, 12:58 AM   #11
wildcat4fun
Submissive MilfMarie

User ID: 3517
My Bio Page
My ECCIE Reviews

To all that have served and made the freedom we enjoy possible, we honor and thank you and your families today. Happy Memorial Day!
wildcat4fun is offline   Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 08:08 AM   #12
Exotic Beauty
Pending Age Verification

User ID: 11213
My ECCIE Reviews

WOW That car is amazing!

Nice thread although I am late!

Ike I have been to DC 2 times and I DID see the changing of the guard! That was Awsome!
~EB~
Exotic Beauty is offline   Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 12:58 AM   #13
starflash
Valued Poster

Encounters: 2

Great thread!!!!!!!!!
starflash is offline   Quote
Old 05-25-2014, 11:31 PM   #14
Dorian Gray
Premium Access

Still a relevant thread a year later & every year that follows.

Old 05-26-2014, 02:56 AM   #15
Seedy
Valued Poster

Encounters: 38
Cool

Quote:
Still a relevant thread a year later & every year that follows.

Yes sir, it certainly is.
Seedy is offline   Quote

AMPReviews.net
Find Ladies
Hot Women