Welcome to ECCIE, become a part of the fastest growing adult community. Take a minute & sign up!

Welcome to ECCIE - Sign up today!

Become a part of one of the fastest growing adult communities online. We have something for you, whether you’re a male member seeking out new friends or a new lady on the scene looking to take advantage of our many opportunities to network, make new friends, or connect with people. Join today & take part in lively discussions, take advantage of all the great features that attract hundreds of new daily members!

Go Premium

Go Back   ECCIE Worldwide > General Interest > Technical Questions
Technical Questions Even the most computer-savvy may have technical questions regarding navigation of the site. Ask it here! If you have an answer, be our guest! (For further assistance, contact your local moderator or see the "Emails to the Staff" post in the Questions for the Staff city forums)

Most Favorited Images
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
Most Liked Images
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
Top Reviewers
cockalatte 645
MoneyManMatt 490
Still Looking 399
samcruz 398
Jon Bon 385
Harley Diablo 370
honest_abe 362
DFW_Ladies_Man 313
Chung Tran 288
lupegarland 287
nicemusic 285
You&Me 281
Starscream66 261
sharkman29 250
George Spelvin 243
Top Posters
DallasRain70365
biomed160193
Yssup Rider59821
gman4452826
LexusLover51038
WTF48267
offshoredrilling47410
pyramider46370
bambino40248
CryptKicker37052
Mokoa36482
Chung Tran36100
Still Looking35944
The_Waco_Kid35112
Mojojo33117

Old 04-15-2014, 10:12 PM   #1
ynot_y
Ambassador

Encounters: 85
Default Router

I need a new router does anyone have any suggestions?
thanks
ynot_y is offline   Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 10:49 PM   #2
LNK
Valued Poster

Encounters: 28

Bosch makes fairly good ones, Rigid also. I'm not a fan of Porter-Cable.

Are you looking for fixed, or plunge?

What's your budget?
LNK is offline   Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 11:07 PM   #3
ynot_y
Ambassador

sorry i was looking for computer router!
Old 04-15-2014, 11:24 PM   #4
LNK
Valued Poster

Wireless, I assume?

There are others on the boards who are undoubtedly more familiar with current offerings than me.

I will offer only this advice, stay far away from Linksys. I have had nothing but trouble with them. Every time someone talked me into trying them again for some project somewhere, I regretted it later.
LNK is offline   Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 05:23 PM   #5
laserface
Premium Access

Encounters: 36

I dunno - I've always had pretty good luck with Linksys (aside from my Linksys wireless access point - with no routing functions in it - that jumps off into never-never land once every few months and needs to be power-cycled to fix it...). Not sure what problems you've had, but maybe you'd like it better if you reflash the firmware with DD-WRT or Tomato? (Warning, not for the faint of heart! If you don't know what "reflash with DD-WRT or Tomato" means without Googling it, this is probably not something you want to be trying to do... )
laserface is online now   Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 06:24 PM   #6
Unique_Carpenter
Off clock with a Cowgirl

Encounters: 89

Cnet posted an article a couple days ago on wireless routers.

http://www.cnet.com/topics/networkin...eless-routers/

The key will be what you're using it for. Nor did you say wireless or wired. Assuming wireless, make a list of the equipment that you'll be using with it, and you then have a spec list to go shopping with. Check to see if you have equipment that needs the old A or G frequencies, and if so, shop very carefully. The new "AC" routers almost all have the just outdated "N", but very few have the old A or G. So, again, check your existing equipment. Also perhaps multi-channel if you have a lot of toys. And use a security code.

Frankly, all are made over on the Pacific Rim, so just pick the options you need. I have several different wireless routers sitting at client's places, It all depends on what a client needs and what their budget is. And I'll admit that whenever I'm at the toy store, if there's something on sale, and I'm out of spares to replace, or setup client equipment on short notice, I'll pick up whatever, as long as it's decent.
Unique_Carpenter is offline   Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 08:06 PM   #7
Kccatman
Registered Member

Default Router

I suggest getting the paparouter, found at paparouter.com
Kccatman is offline   Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 08:13 PM   #8
LNK
Valued Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by laserface View Post
I dunno - I've always had pretty good luck with Linksys (aside from my Linksys wireless access point - with no routing functions in it - that jumps off into never-never land once every few months and needs to be power-cycled to fix it...). Not sure what problems you've had, but maybe you'd like it better if you reflash the firmware with DD-WRT or Tomato? (Warning, not for the faint of heart! If you don't know what "reflash with DD-WRT or Tomato" means without Googling it, this is probably not something you want to be trying to do... )
I have no issues flashing firmware, or playing with different flavors of replacement firmware, but for the garden-variety user who wants to plug it in, have it work, and forget it, best not to go there.

I liked Linksys up until Cisco bought them, and their stuff just went downhill after. Cisco stuff is great, but that's a whole 'nother world.

I put Linksys stuff into a bunch of (SOHO) customer networks, because that was what the people I worked for spec'd. And then I had to go out and figure out what was fucking up when things went tits-up. More often than not, it was the Linksys stuff.

Maybe they've improved, but I've been burned so very many times by them that I'm not willing to go there anymore.

There are lots of choices out there.
LNK is offline   Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 09:30 PM   #9
ynot_y
Ambassador

thanks everyone !
Old 04-16-2014, 11:59 PM   #10
Mokoa
The Mod In Black®

Encounters: 4

Both Linksys routers I have had worked like champs. The first one was a G wireless router and after a couple years I replaced it with an N wireless router only because I wanted the increased performance. Setup was easy as well. Especially for the N router because part of its setup process created install files on a USB flash drive so you can take it and install the necessary stuff onto every computer you want connected without hassle.

Great stuff.
Mokoa is offline   Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 05:54 AM   #11
Gotyour6
Valued Poster

Encounters: 24

They made Linksys for home users.

Any one in IT field will open them and throw the CD away it came with and open it up through IP address and edit the settings.

For those IT guys, WRT is the way to go. For a user that wants plug and play with ok support go with Linksys.

Netgear newer models tend to over heat and lock up.
Gotyour6 is offline   Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 12:37 PM   #12
Mr. GPop
Account Disabled

Encounters: 10

Linksys (now owned by Cisco) is good, Dlink is not bad.. I prefer EnGenius myself

The question really is, what are you trying to do other than route? Are you looking for a specific function because even the cheapest router will work just fine.
Mr. GPop is offline   Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 10:28 PM   #13
BR-8
Lifetime Premium Access

Encounters: 1

I have had several Linksys and Dlink wi fi routers and have always at some point been disatisfied with them; usually initially!
After much research, I bit the bullet and bought this one at Best Buy for $199... it is now $179; Asus Model: RT-AC66R, http://www.bestbuy.com/site/dual-ban...639317&st=asus router&cp=1&lp=2.
Best I,ve had by far, easy set up, great range (biggest plus for me).
BR-8 is offline   Quote

AMPReviews.net
Find Ladies
Hot Women